Police advise letterbox cage

Hi squowse,

When I got the quote for the hardwood door I did request if it was possible to install a multipoint lock (similar to uPVC) in a hardwood door but was told that the door needs to match the frame. The only method of doing this was to use a prehung door i.e. frame and door

That's rubbish. They fit no problem - hang the door as normal, then you just router and chisel the slot out and fit the mechanism.

The only issue is the limited choice in lever handles for wooden doors and euro cylinders

Sponsored Links
ERA vectis is a multipoint lock but uses a traditional mortice lock key instead of a euro cylinder.

I got the door to lock. I found the keeps for the bolts top and bottom didn't even line up with the latches.

When Anglian Windows fitted the door (prior to me owning the house) they can't of lined up the keeps with the bolts. This meant the bolts wouldn't engage so you couldn't lock the door so that the handle was inactivated from the inside. It looks like the door was only locking on the centre latch :oops: .

I realigned the keeps and a bit of WD40 in the mechanisms. The door closes easily now and locks correctly.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Martin

Sponsored Links
...on a new hardwood door i would install a multi-point lock in preference...

Is there a multipoint for a wooden door that has British Standard 3621:2004 certification? what does it cost?

I've never understood people who fit MPT's to hardwood doors, thus making them as secure as a UPVC door - ie NOT secure. Locksmiths prefer to open euro cylinders over mortice locks for a reason!

I saw an ERA multipoint with a Lever lock, but I don't know if it is BS certified

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back