Policing Ecology related planning conditions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been granted planning consent subject to conditions which include implementing ecological protection and working methods set out in the ecological appraisal submitted with the application i.e. appointing ECoW to oversee work in sensitive areas and working methods to reduce risk to any protected species which may be present.
Since this is a self build, how would this be “policed” ? I am happy to implement the working methods but want to avoid the delays associated with the involvement of another consultant [i.e. ECoW] in day to day working

Sponsored Links
You must follow the instructions detailed in the approval and in any planning condition. If there are no conditions then your responsibility is to carry out the works in accordance with the approved documents. If the ecology report says employ a registered bat man/woman to oversee removal of roof tiles, then that's what you must do. It would be a matter of record whether you did or not and to not do so might leave you exposed to all sorts of problems later? bearing in mind that most ecology issues can lead to criminal conviction - although in quite a few years I've never come across one.

Yes I understand that ... I think my question is really - Where ecological appraisal has NOT identified any protected species and has classified the overall site as only medium significance, then if required working methods have been followed [in this case excavation of trenches for services etc.] and no physical harm has occurred to a protected species, then WHO would would pick up the fact that ECoW was not engaged and who would they refer the matter to.

For the record - IMO the main asset of the site is the wildlife and my desire is to preserve it not harm it.

You said originally that ecological appraisal was submitted to planning and that planning was conditional upon you following the advice of that appraisal. What does the appraisal recommend in terms of carrying out works?

Sponsored Links
My thanks for your thoughts - but I've now bitten the bullet and engaged an alternative ecologist to act as ECoW as others have confirmed that he does respond quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back