Polished concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete floor which has been power floated. I want to achieve a polished/mirror finish like some car show rooms/diy stores etc have. I've been told I need to hire an industrial floor polisher and replace the pads with diamond pads and gradually work on it going though the grades from rough to fine. I know this may expose some of the aggregate but that's ok, adds to the effect! :)

Just really wondering if it's a simple as this or is there anything else I need to bare in mine/do. Presume there must be someone who's done this?

Any help appreciated.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Hi Patiosclotures, I know all that, that's why I want it :) .... just need to know how to do it??

Dean

I think the previous is some kind of 'machine-generated" message as all PC's messages are similarly official-sounding and uninformative .

How - and why- someone does that is a mystery to me.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dean,

In theory, it is as 'simple' as you outline. But getting the right machinery and the cost of the diamonds is the issue. For these reasons it is possibly not really a DIY job. Also, although the process is simple to understand, it is not always 'easy' to do, and the professionals take time to practice their skills.

Polishing concrete is about to become a big thing I think, I was at world of concrete last year (Vegas) and the number of companies getting into this, with colouring systems, micro toppings and all the machinery was significant.

If you are going to do this yourself you need the right equipment. Then you need to test an area - just to see if your concrete is ok to polish- by this I mean that its integrity is such that the grinding and polishing process won't pull aggregate out and leave holes etc. You have to start with very coarse and gradually move up to the very fine, polishing grades, oh and you will use a lot of water, so you need a good wet vac or method for extracting all that water.

I am new on here and so do not want to break any rules on advertising but there are people I could point you to for advice/equipment.

Hope that helps

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back