Polished concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to create a mirror polished concrete floor in a contemporary kitchen - it's done a lot in warehouse conversions. How's the best way to do this as builder is putting screed down next week. I have underfloor heating too. I don't mind if the floor has small cracks as this adds to the look. It's 47m2 minus the units' area. I presume a power float is used just before the surface is rubbed up? Does it take long?

Sponsored Links
Is someone doing this for you or do you intend to DIY?
You will find the floor will be grinded using a power float but putting sanding/grinding pads on it, normally carbon based, generally a wet sand is done to prevent concrete burns and help keep the pads lubricated, but it can be done dry.
The floor will need to be left to cure for about 4-6 weeks, depending on drying conditions, it may also need treating with a concrete hardening solution to toughen it up, before grinding is done.
It can be quite a messy job, but before you lay your floor, decide what type of look you want, as this can be helped by a good choice of aggregates in the mix, which can add sparkle, colour and character to the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back