How to achieve "polished concrete" look with my floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bit of a conundrum with how to tackle my floor.
I have a large kitchen/diner/utility on the gound floor - approx 30m2
This part of the house was renovated and extended about 15 years ago, when doing so the previous owners had underfloor heating put in, and then tiled with flagstones (aprox 25mm thick)

The floor isnt particularly even, and the underfloor heating is not quick to warm up, but does eventually get warm.
I would like to achieve the simple look of polished concrete, but have a few issues to overcome.
I am not replacing the kitchen units, so all sidestands, and kickboards (and skirting) is set to the height of the current floor) If I remove the flags, the floor level will drop.

I was currently thinking of removing the tiles, taking it back to (i presume) screed, then having the height difference taken up with more screed or concrete, before having a finished applied.

Im looking for any advice as to how to achieve the polished look - I could lay concrete and polish that, or finish off with a micro cement surface, but that needs to be laid on something substantial as it could crack if anything moves. I have had one quote for micro cement, the guy said if I just had some our pour leverllng compound on my slabs he could finish on top of that, but I wouldnt be happy to spend all that money and risk a slab moving in the future and ruining it.

Any thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back