Polishing up UPVC to get original glass like finsh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a conservatory installed. There were a few scratches and small marks on a couple of areas of the profile which the installer assured me that they would polish out with 'wet and dry' and had lots of experience in doing this.

Whilst they have removed the marks, having today had the first decent day of sunlight, it is now really obvious where they have done the 'polishing'. You can see patches of dull matt profile compared to the glass like surrounding finish of the original surface.

I'm pretty sure that they never used a mechanical polisher and my guess is that it just needs a very light polish/buff of someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm not going to get the installer back again (don't need the hassle or arguing the toss on another issue) but before I contact Rehau to see if they have any advice on trying to get back an original finish, I just wondered if anyone had any experience or tips in this area.

Grateful of any comments.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
You could try scratch remover from a car accessory shop, they are a much milder version of the old T cut, but speak to Rehau first before you do anything yourself.
They may say the windows have been damaged by the installer, you don't want to let them off the hook by touching it yourself.

Regards
footprints

Wait until the upvc gets dirty, it will stick out like a sore thumb. I had this on my new windows in my last house, the installer came back and polished them out, he then got paid. A few months down the line the marks got dirty and showed every scratch. Get it replaced now.

Andy

Sponsored Links
The installer clearly hasn't spent enough time polishing simple as that.

I repaired pvc doors and windows for 12 years, some with the konig kit i.e. fillers and spray paints to rebuild missing pvc, carried out heat gun repairs to remove jemmy marks after burglaries and finally sanded and polished scratches out.

Don't know what grade your installer finished off with and for how long he was rubbing, i would always finish off with 1200 grit wet n dry, this on its own would get it shiny, i'd then T-cut it and lastly i'd polish the T-cut off with a car polish and buff to a shine...job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back