UPVC Profile 'Blistering'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a lean to conservatory installed by a reputable company two years ago but have noticed some blistering or bubbles on the brown exterior UPVC (Profile). When a fitter from the Company who sold us the Conservatory visited us he was able to peel away the profile on one of the affected areas like elastic. Could there be a problem with the product itself, caused during the manufacturing process or may the blistering have been caused by any adhesive used during the installation process? The Company, suppliers and manufacturers all insist that it is something we have caused and yet we have only used mild washing up liquid for cleaning purposes, as recommended by the manufacturer. Does anyone know how this blistering might have occurred and offer us some advice as to our next course of action. Proving liability is very difficult.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pics?
Do you know the name of the make of the affected parts?
Is the conservatory south facing?

It sounds like you have been cleaning it correctly so I can only think it would be a manufacturing fault.

I have seen woodgrains begin to bubble when facing south before but only after 15-20 years not 2

Thanks Gents. The blistering is in some of the corners of the windows and the manufacturer is a company called REHAUF. The window is south facing. View media item 72185

Sponsored Links
It sounds like Crank knows something more specific about this problem so hopefully he will be along later with a response.

From my point of view I would say definitely some kind manufacturing fault, Possibly something to do with the corner welds or the wood grain having been damaged a bit when it was cut.

On my phone this so i'll reply in more detail when I get off site but it's probably the glue from the duct tape around the glass has turned gloopy and ran to the bottom, it's reacted with the foil and blown it away from from the profile, it's probably even seeping out the internal bead mitre joints? Tell me I'm right?

I'll post up some of my pictures of it I see, it's not a rehau fault but more of the glass unit/duct tape used

Thanks Crank. The blistering or bubbling on the wood grain photographs are identical to our problem. So if this is not a manufacturing problem could it have been caused by the person who installed the conservatory? How did you come across your cases and what was the outcome from the customer's point of view? We don't see to be able to get any advice as to where to go next. Our Warranty protects us for substandard goods that are not fit for purpose.

I can't say too much on a public forum (no offence you other guys) about who i work for but if you PM me i can be a bit more specific.

You have definately not caused this yourself, get the fitters or company boss back and get him to remove the glass from one of the windows affected, he/she should see glue dripping down from the tape and collecting in te bottom, if he's being honest with himself he will see straight away whats caused it, probably a bad batch of tape the glass shop used so it is their fault and not necessarily the installers. You might even find the company who fitted it didn't even make the frames, some companies buy everything in, the frames, the roof, the glass but your contract is with them so they need to put it right and they take it up with the glass shop, in some cases certain DG companies manufacture everything but thats reserved for the bigger more established ones.

You have no access to the edge of the glass so no amount of cleaning by you would of caused this.

There is no way to repair this, the whole frame will need replacing, if theres a fair few to replace then they won't be happy and i'd fully expect them to play awkward about it, in some cases its problems like this that can fold a small company/fabricator.

You have my permission to print off or email the photos to your installer to show you aren't alone with this defect, its nothing to do with cleaning, its defo the glue as can be seen in all my photos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back