UPVC woodgrain foil - where do I go to get help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Really hoping someone can help/advise me.

Having seen the posts here about blistering/bubbling woodgrain foil on UPVC windows (Jan 2014), it seems I have the same problem. Also have foil on vertical beading which is 'peeling' away from the rubber seal against glass (foil appears to overlap rubber?) and up to 2mm shrinkage on some beading.

I mentioned the potential duct tape/glue issues to the company after their inspection (they admit "manufacturing fault - unknown cause"), but they are not listening. Won't go into detail here but feeling somewhat bullied by them and need a firm basis/evidence upon which to challenge them.

Where do I go to get the causal facts confirmed so that I can take this forward?
Are there any independent organisations/people who can help me?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about this industry and hopefully someone with knowledge in this area will post, but failing that, why not call your local Trading Standards? From what you say, it may be that the windows were not 'fit for purpose' when installed.

Whatever route you take to try and solve this problem, be prepared to battle hard for a satisfactory resolution.

Thanks for reply.

My question is about me getting 'evidence' to present to the company so that I can then take it further and thereby prove the defects to them.

Where do we as customers go to get our faulty double glazing products inspected when the company are not telling us the truth and are not being honest about what the problem is?

Seems pointless having a warranty if it's in their interest not to honour it when a problem arises!

Have you paid in full?
Can you post some pics?

Are they members of any trade associations? Check their website and paper work and you could try contacting them first.

I would write a letter giving them 28 days to rectify the problems, Saying after that you will have no option but to make complaints to Fensa and Trading standards (Fensa wont do anything but it never hurts for them to know they have a dodgy company on their books) and then follow it up with small claims court.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for advice. Yes all paid at time. Sorry, unable to post any pics but looks the same as post 20/21 Jan 2014 here - Crank39's photos.

Yes GGF and FENSA and as you say, they won't do anything.

Crank39 posted 'windows will need replacing'. They have ignored this. I was looking to get confirmation that this is definitely the case so am on solid ground to challenge - ie is this a duct tape/glue problem or something else.

Not sure I can trust another window company to give me an honest answer.

Your going to need a surveyor, my guess is once the glazing company are notified by you that you are appointing such a firm then they become a bit easier to deal with

Whoever comes to assess will need to remove the glazing beads and glass unit to fully understand what's happened and what's causing it, it will be plainly obvious, a blind man on a galloping horse could diagnose it

A quick google on the RICS site for surveyors in Norfolk brings up this result

http://www.andersonassociates.co.uk/other-services/

Fantastic, thank you so much for advice and info!

Now feeling much more positive and empowered to take this forward.

Will let you all know how I get on and the outcome. (Might take a while though!)

:D

See if the company who fitted them are members of DGCOS , the double glazing industries ombudsman ( providing they signed up to it........) If they had been us who fitted those , I would have gone back to my supplier and demanded they replaced them ( which to be fair they would have done! )

Even if they are not a member of anything if they took their window back to their supplier they would get a new one under warranty. The supplier will in turn be able to claim the appropriate meterage of foiled profile from whichever extruder they bought the lengths of profile from.

Hi, thank you to authors of yesterday's two posts.

Had checked DGCOS - they are not members. The extruder went into receivership, so they (the company who made and installed them) can't go back to them. And ... the glazing company went into administration!

Hmmm I doubt that the actual extruder has gone bump, these are the people that make (extrude) the pvc profile into 6 metre lengths, this is then sold onto fabricators who cut it up and weld it into frames (it may be these people you are thinking of?) The installer then buys his frames from a fabricator.

Are you saying the people who fitted your windows i.e. the installer has ceased trading?

No.
The extruder was Plastmo and I was told 'cannot get these windows anymore.' But a quick google shows that these branded products are now available from Eurocell. The company I contracted with (still in business) made the frames and also installed them. However, they now deal with another extruder, not Eurocell.

Am now wondering whether they are able to get my windows replaced via Eurocell?
Would my contracted company's original warranty/guarantee with Plastmo still be active with the parent company extruder Eurocell?
And ... if found to be a duct tape fault, presumably Uniglaze has accountability somewhere in the process?

All a bit of a pickle as you can see! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back