Can anyone me how theses window beads are fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me to establish how these window glazing beads are fitted?

The frames are wooden, painted white on the outside and varnished pine on the inside.
The external beads are wooden except for the bottom bead which is metal.
The clips at the bottom corners are plastic.
The seal all around the window is rubber and overlaps the glass by about 3mm and beads sit into the seal with the seal overlapping the bead by about 2mm.

The seal on the inside of the window is flush with the window frame.

The paint finish has been sprayed prior to installing and I can't see any evidence of retaining pins in the beads having been painted over after installation.

Because of the seals around the windows and the clips at the bottom it is going to be a nightmare of a job to paint.

I now wonder if it is possible that the beads clip into place somehow which, if they did, would mean that I could remove them and have an easier and much neater painting job.

Photos of the window are here.
//www.diynot.com/network/kenwalker45/albums/

Sponsored Links
judging by the small gap between frame and bead on the 2nd window i would assume there like any normal bead,insert a small blade and GENTLY prize them out,as you havnt provide a decent pic of the beads on the inside you might have to remove the inside 1s 1st before removing the outside??

There are no beads on the inside. I think you're right about the side and top beads because there's movement in them. The worst problem is how to remove the bottom bead as I've never seen anything like it before with these clip things.

Sponsored Links
well as said gently remove the side 1s and then it should be as clear as mud, :LOL: suck it and see what unfolds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back