Sealing wooden windows - How to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had some wooden casement windows installed by someone before xmas. Unfortunately couldnt use the supplier to install due to geography.

All went ok - but when we had the major storms a few weeks ago water started getting in, and I am 99% sure it is getting in the beading from the outside - ie the windows are not adequately sealed.

The installer has since been back and re-glazed two of the windows - but I am not convinced he knows what hes doing.

He used glazing tape on the inside, and just installed the beading directly against the glass on the outside. he then squirted a thin line of frame sealant along the tiny gap between the beading and the glass.

On the ones he has re-done he has used frame sealant between the beads and the glass, but to be honest it looks a bit of a mess and Im not sure this is the correct stuff to use.....He also managed to crack one of the glazing units in the process.

To be honest I dont really want him coming back to mess around with the others as it could just make a bad situation worse!
Could anyone advise on what us normally done to seal the exterior beads against the glass with wooden windows??

Many thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
You would normally use a clear ms polymer rather than normal silicone. Have you got any pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back