How to paint re glazed windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my windows re glazed.
The guys from the glass company said dry fit the panes and wood beading, as silicon can slowly rot the rubber between the glass.
However the said a thin bead of silicon where the wood beading meets the glass helps seal against the rain.

Now today a painter has said the opposite, no silicon as the paint peels off it.
He said you paint a small bit of paint onto the glass to create the waterproof seal.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Silicone is a good idea to seal against rain, provided

(a) It doesn't get onto the surface that will be painted, and
(b) You use a low-modulus, neutral cure silicone (which will not attack the seals in the DG units)

Cheers
Richard

What would you advise?
Paint the bead white and a small bit onto the glass
Or
Paint the bead white and then a small bit of silicon on the join where the bead meets the glass ?

Sponsored Links
I've had my windows re glazed.
The guys from the glass company said dry fit the panes and wood beading, as silicon can slowly rot the rubber between the glass.
However the said a thin bead of silicon where the wood beading meets the glass helps seal against the rain.

Now today a painter has said the opposite, no silicon as the paint peels off it.
He said you paint a small bit of paint onto the glass to create the waterproof seal.

What do you guys think?

I'd change glaziers for a start ....If they'd used Low Modulus silicone , the seals on your sealed units would be fine. I hope the wooden frames are ' self draining ' , ( eg bottom bead sits off the frame and lips over the edge ) or your sealed units may have a shortened lifespan. Did the glaziers use a sealant for the beads ...usually Hodgsons flexistrip ( other names possibly called are putty on a roll or tremco ), it would fit between the bead and the glass , and would expand and contract with the changing weather
As goes the paint/silicone issue , paint indeed does not stick to silicone , my suggestion would be paint the windows and then apply either clear silicone or one that matches the colour of your windows ( or close ) , also make sure you do all the points where beads meet ( eg corners ) ... your biggest problem will be you will need to re silicone every year , as wood constantly moves in the changing weather and will eventually pull the silicone off the wood/glass ( more prominent in very warm weather as the wood shrinks....)

Apply the silicone in the recess where the beading will go, away from where the edge of the beading will be, so it doesn't ooze out. You don't apply the silicone after the beading has been fixed. Silicone goes in, not on.

Thanks for all the replies.
The job was a DIY one, so can't sack myself.
I used foam glazing tape on either side of the panes.
Wood beads.
Then a thin bead of silicon where the wood bead meets the glass to stop any moisture getting in.

But no draining holes at the bottom.
Should I be taking the beads off and putting drainage holes, or is the silicon bead a good option to seal it all in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back