Polluted drinking water from Dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a dishwaser installed as part of a kitchen re-fit. I'm not sure if this is relevant but it's a Beko DSFS1531W_WH

Prior to install the drinking water was fine. Since install it's not. When we disconnect the dishwasher the drinking water returns to normal.

Our plumber has said that it is a fault with the machine. Having called out a Beko engineer they have concluded that the machine is not faulty and subsequently charged us £70 for a wasted call out. Great.

Plumber has installed a non return valave and we still have the problem.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It just tastes disgusting - as though it's the waste water from the dishwasher.

It won't be.

Was a new fitting connected to the copper pipe for the cold tap? Is it copper pipe? Was it soldered on, or brass, perhaps with some kind of sealing paste used (you might see traces of it - could be white)?

Was it fitted by an older plumber?

Photos of the plumbing would be useful.

Photos attached, let me if you want photos from any other angle. Really appreciating any help!

The blue lever on the machine tap turns the supply to the machine off. Turn it across the direction of the pipe.

See if the taste improves.

I still suspect the compression fittings.

Was the machine connected to an old, existing tap, or was a new machine tap fitted to the copper pipe? If so, was any soldering done?

What is the thin black ?pipe? I can see through the hole in picture 3?

Why does the grey water inlet pipe look dirty? Is it old?

Picture 2 shows a bit of the copper water pipe. Please show us more of it.

As suggested above, the first thing I would do is change the inlet hose making sure it is WRAS approved.

The taps are new, the dishwasher is new and as far as I know al the pipework is new. The first picture shows a close up of the copper pipe (I don't know if any soldering was involved). The second pic shows a close up of the 'black pipe' you saw through the hole. This is connected to the copper pipe shown in photo 1.

When the blue lever is turned off the water is fine. That's why our plumber thinks it's the dishwasher? But the manufacturer is saying definitely not.

Re the dirty looking pipe - this is new.

Given this is it still logical that it could be the compression fitting? Or the inlet hose? Sorry - very limited knowledge of what these elements are!

When you say you disconnect it, how are you disconnecting it?

Your problem really doesn't make sense - I wouldn't have ever thought the inlet hose should cause a problem with your drinking water, no matter how old or yuk. But maybe I'm wrong.

Unless something is syphoning waste water back into the system - which again should not be happening, but would normally be pretty easy to spot.

Hmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back