polo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has gone to start her polo 1.4 petrol it's the newer shape, 55 reg, 40,000 miles, serviced two weeks ago.(not cambelt)
THE CAR WON'T START, AND ALL WE GET IS THE WHIRRING SOUND AS THOUGH THE CAM BELT HAS GONE, can anyone tell me if this does the valves in on this model ? thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the belt has broken you will probably have valve damage (Autodata)
You can check by replacing the belt and doing a compression or leakdown test. :cry:

;)

Yep, they're hitters!
It's not a difficult job to whip the head off and check things.

GSF will do all the parts you need

Cheers lads, not what i wanted to hear but, that's how it goes. the weird thing is, she parked it up last nght fine, went to it, and this is what we got.

I will have to do the job, here we go, family again :rolleyes: never mind, i suppose she'll gat me a couple of cans. :D

Sponsored Links
if thats the case, then it could well be the starter not engaging

Na, will be belt drive.
If it's a 16v there are 2 belts.
Worth changing the waterpump too if you have to change the belts as it's driven by the cambelt. If it's like the older polo's the waterpump is the tensioner too

You could try removing the oil-cap, putting it into top gear and get an accomplice to try pushing the car while you inspect (you might need a torch) to see if there is any camshaft activity. If there is rotation: fine; if not:bu**er.

Obvious question but is the vehicle warranty no longer valid?

Well, had a look, cambelt and things in that dept ok.
engine block on dash lit up, limp mode? engine spinning over ok, just doesn't sound normal, my daughter was informed that once this engine light come on, it'll let you get home, then shut down, ring any bells anyone? My next thoughts will be the crank sensor, what do you think?

libby lou lou";p="1018171 said:
Before you start buying sensors, have a readout done to point you in the right direction.

Cheers, someone coming up sun/mon, will let you know.

Friend ish, come up. on computer says,16421 bank- probe 2
heating element circuit pres
Malfunction

Lamdba, 4 wire,heating element, sound right to you people?

miller, thanks for taking the time to help, appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Back