polycarbonate carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody,
I am in the planning stage of a building a lean too carport on driveway at side of house, length is approx 6.5M x 3M span.
I would really like to do this job in 16mm opal polycarbonate, 900 x 3M. sections.
Now, the big question is: should i join these sections together with..timber supported joining bars, or the free standing joining bars, with no timber supports?
I must admit, the timber supported ones sound a better job, I think the free standing bars sag after a few years, even with only lightweight sheets on top, and I would do them in 150 x 50mm joists onto a similar pitching plate at approx 7-10 degrees.
I would very much appreciate any advice from you lads. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I did one last year. You have to use timber rafters to support the roof, so use the timber-supported joiners.

Don't permanently fix the rafter under the joiner until you have the sheet in place, as it may be a little out of where you calculated. Then you can put the strip in the exact centre of the rafter and screw it down.

Thanks John,... I went into Eurocell today and they shown me the type that are not timber supported, but I think 6"x2" for a 3m span would be a far better job.
And, like you said, cut all the rafters, position them, and secure after each sheet.
There seems to be different ideas for fixing the side of the first and last sheets,..F sections etc?..how did you finish off each side? Thanks.

3m will be fine for a self support bar. It's only the shyte bars that sag, I've got 4m self support Newdawn bars and they tough as old booots. With self support from the inside it will look just like a conservatory roof. No wood to paint or maintain.
Ring The Plastics depot on 0121 311 2666 (my suppliers) they will quote you on the decent stuff, Brett Martin poly too, Eurocell use all the regrind crap.

Don't use F section for the ends, always buy a normal bar and a little end section that goes inside the bar so it looks like an end bar.

Sponsored Links
3m will be fine for a self support bar. It's only the shyte bars that sag, I've got 4m self support Newdawn bars and they tough as old booots. With self support from the inside it will look just like a conservatory roof. No wood to paint or maintain.
Ring The Plastics depot on 0121 311 2666 (my suppliers) they will quote you on the decent stuff, Brett Martin poly too, Eurocell use all the regrind crap.

Don't use F section for the ends, always buy a normal bar and a little end section that goes inside the bar so it looks like an end bar.
MW roofline, thanks for that, another concern with self support is, how secure would the whole carport be if it's just fixed at the top and bottom,..when the wind gets up?..obviously this doesn't apply to a conservatory being enclosed.
Cheers.
I will phone TPD today and get some info on prices and delivery to warrington area.

Hello everybody, can anybody tell me where I can get brett martin polycarbonate sheets and accessories to do the above carport please, in the North West, I was going to buy Eurocell, but MW Roofline said not (see above) Thanks.

My suppliers deliver Nationwide mate
Hello again everybody, sorry it.s taking so long to reply,
mw roofline, thanks for the info, I cant quite grasp what you mean about both end sections, could you go over it again please in a bit more detail please, I´m ok about everything else. cheers.

Ok so are u fitting self support bars or timber supported bars (bars that are slim and rely on the timber underneath to hold them up)

Ok so are u fitting self support bars or timber supported bars (bars that are slim and rely on the timber underneath to hold them up)
I want to fit the timber supported bars, 150x50mm for about 2.9/3metre span and I think the screw down covers rather than the press down clip in ones, with 900 wide sheets of 16mm poly opal.
Thanks for your advice, i,m in Spain at the moment, so its difficult to reply quickly, but home 29th and will start job very soon, cheers.

Hi mw roofline, I know it's been 12 months, but I have been delayed in doing this job for different reasons, but now I'm ready to crack on with it.
I would just like to go over the end sections again if you would,...you say dont use F sections, use a little end section in a normal bar so it looks like an end bar, what is this end section etc? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back