Polyfiller and floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to insulate my house more and can feel cold air coming though these gaps where my wood floor meets the brick/doorway. Can I polyfiller this gap or do I need something else to fill it in?
Thank you

Attachments

• D3799C2B-8A63-4B71-8546-471D15527BDD.jpeg
    D3799C2B-8A63-4B71-8546-471D15527BDD.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
Something which blocks the air, is waterproof, and allows for expansion would be better. Strip of foam plastic?

Not polyfilla, will crack.
Cheap and quick - grab a handful of loft insulation and stuff it in there.

There's professional stuff for this (compraband?) but expensive.

Or caulk/mastic gun the gaps. I did that under some skirtingboards to stop a breeze

Thank you- will caulk not crack with expansion? I may go for this option

Sponsored Links
Flexible sealant may be a good option

Silicone is a better alternative than caulk and won't crack, but neither can be guaranteed to span a gap of more than 6 or 7mm without slumping. For bigger gaps, stuff some closed cell foam into the gaps (e.g Fossa Caulk Saver) pushed a couple of millimetres below the surface, then finish with silicone. Silicone can be purchased in a variety if colours. Use a silicone finger to finish the surface off rather than a finger - much less messy!

There's professional stuff for this (compraband?) but expensive.
Compraband, a highly compressed closed cell rubber foam "tape" is what we use to seal around uneven floor edges (e.g. laminate flooring to original brick walls in mill conversions, etc). Brilliant stuff, expands to fill gaps from about 4mm to 30mm but I agree that it is rather expensive. But you do pay for speed, convenience and lack of mess

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back