Pool of water on concrete patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently uplifted the stone chipping on an old victorian patio, with a view to possibly putting decking down.
I have found that when it rains a 1/2" pool of water forms near the drain before it starts to drain off in the nearby drain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobeks/2547160443/

I am a bit of a novice with this but I was thinking of trying to level the dipped area with concrete, but was worried that I may displace the water to other areas that may cause it to be trapped as there is only this one drain on the patio, which the down pipes all also lead to.

Would anyone have any other suggestions or is this the best course of action. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Andy,
Yes your guess is right, it looks like the fall isn't quite enough.
however as the standing water is near the drain, you might try just lowering the drain cover 1/2" or so, and cutting a channel to it through the water so that it drains quicker.
If you take the (metal) plastic cover off and see if there's any easy way to duct a channel through to a slightly lower level without doing too much damage.
BTW I can't see where your DPC is in the wall adjacent in the picture

Thanks chessspy,

I had not thought about cutting a channel. Thanks for that suggestion.
The house is over a hundred years old, and there is not a DPC.
Possibly I should be considering putting one in?

Hi, Andy,
The channel doesn't need to be much, just enough to release the water.
Try cutting it with a spinner, one of the £20 ones from B+Q will do.
You can wait till it rains or employ a bucket to see if it works:cool: .

Sponsored Links
PS, If the house aint ****ing wet through by now then I wouldn't bother with the DPC thing.

Hi chessspy,

Thanks for the suggestion about the spinner. I was going to phone a builder, but I'll give it a go myself.
I have been to the B&Q website and searched for a spinner, but nothing comes up. What is it and does it have another name?

Cheers,
Andy.

Angle grinder.
The small one with a 4" blade will do,
However the 9" blade one is probably going to be more useful in the long run, but, they are more difficult to use in the hands of a tyro. (being bigger and all)
Make sure the blade supplied will cut concrete.
These Chinese made tools don't last long and haven't the 'soft start' features of the more sophisticated (and more expensive) German made ones, however they do the job and are cheap.
Screw fix do one for £14.99 page 1090
Now, it comes with a metal cutting blade, and I think that is no good for cutting concrete, but I suppose B+Q do stone cutting blades to suit.
So 'ave a look and don't forget your eye protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back