Poor Flow

Sponsored Links
Roadyz - thanks.

Softus, hopefully here are your pictures. By the way, the bath hot tap filled 6 litres of water into the bucket in about 26 seconds, seemed like good presure.

SP_A0044.jpg

The airing cupboard, left pipe (as we look at it) is cold feed, hot on right.

SP_A0046.jpg

Inline isolator on cold feed

SP_A0045.jpg

Hot water gate valve(??)

Hope this helps.....

Well I'd never put a narrow-bore ball-o-fix valve on a shower supply - far too restrictive. I also wouldn't run the cold supply (not called cold feed, BTW) in 15mm.

Regarding the hot, I would never take off from the vent pipe.

I suggest that you start by changing the point at which you tee off the hot water for the shower. Use a 22mm (not a branch-reduced tee) at a point somewhere below where the cylinder hot outlet goes up to the vent and down for the house hot service. This way you'll reduce the risk of air bubbles and air locking. Reduce from 22mm to 15mm just before going through the wall.

Alternatively, and preferably, install an Essex flange in the cylinder. This will you'll eliminate the risk of air on the hot supply to the shower.

Consider doing it in Hep2o - then you can quickly and easily demount and change it if you decide on the Essex flange.

Sponsored Links
From the info you have given

new shower needs min 0.5bar you only have about 0.3bar from your supplies so it will never work very well unless you put on a pump or you might just get better flow if you change the hand set but i doubt it.

Most of the thermostatic showers need about 0.5 bar pressure. Aqualisa produce a few that will work well on 0.2bar but they do cost a few more pennies!

Thanks Softis - sounds like moving the hot supply is the way to go.

I've no idea what an Essex flange is, or how to demount whatever Hep2o is ! Any chance of a layman's translation for this numpty?

Many thanks for your patience

Thanks Softis - sounds like moving the hot supply is the way to go.
Having just read snb's post, and having missed your earlier statement about the Synergy valve specification, I wouldn't bother unless you're going to be adding a pump.

I've no idea what an Essex flange is, or how to demount whatever Hep2o is ! Any chance of a layman's translation for this numpty?
It's not cryptic - they're both commonly available products.

An Essex flange mounts in a hole that you drill in the side of the cylinder.
Hep2o is a model of push-fit fittings, made by Hepworth.

snb - is there one that you'd recommend?
The one I have is fitted on 154mm centres (if I remember correctly).

If I suggest changing to a shower costing another couple of hundred quid you'll understand I need confidence first..

Are you saying there is no point in moving the point of hot water supply?
Well, it's in the wrong place, but putting it in the right place is pointless without a pump, because you won't reach the 0.5 bar minimum that the valve requires.

And when you add the pump you'll have to rehash the connections anyway.

If I suggest changing to a shower costing another couple of hundred quid you'll understand I need confidence first.
You're going to have to tell them that they have the wrong valve for gravity supplies.

Most valves will be on 150mm centres, or thereabouts.

The Aqualisa Quartz Thermo is about £400, and is an excellent valve.

See the following page for Aqualisa's shower selection tool:
http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/Our-products/water-system-compatibility/Tool/

Thanks Softus. I'll research them for one that works on 0.2 bar.

Thanks to all for your help - much appreciated as always.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back