Pop-up Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sink pop-up waste (3 months old) sticks in the closed position (ie, it doesn't pop-up). Any ideas? Can it be lubricated?

(Apologies if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it)

Cheers - SLF

Sponsored Links
SInk or basin, and what type - there are several.

pull the plug out, see if it has a bolt sticking out of the bottom. If not it has fallen off and might be in the trap.

If yes, unscrew it a bit and see if it then reaches the lifting lever.

Pop-up wastes always leak and are a pain.

It's a sink pop-up waste with an action a bit like a ballpoint pen - press once to seal, press again to open except that it refuses to do so!

TIA

SLF

Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD, it's not a lever-operated one I'm afraid, and there's no obvious way of dismantling it without removing the whole unit...

cheers - SLF

I've had one of those stick closed. I ended up removing the trap and unscrewing the mechanism from uderneath. Fortunately it wasn't too tight, so a pair of long nose pliers shifted it.

On ours, the hole in the rubber seal around the plug was a bit oversize, allowing it to shift off centre around the plug.
One side had popped out of it's groove, jamming against the edge of the plughole.

That meant the mechanism couldn't be pushed down far enough to release and pop back up as it should.

I put a bit of LSX around the groove in the plug to hold the seal in place. :cool:

Plan B, which I didn't have to resort to, was to trim off all the bits of rubber seal I could get at with a modelling knife/surgical scalpel (a craft knife blade would probably be too thick to fit in the gap between the plug and plughole) until the plug released.

Then I would have to get a new rubber seal from somewhere :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back