Porcelain outdoor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any experts out there? We're having porcelain tiles on our patio, 30sqm. Initial choice seems to be between 20mm thick slab type tiles and more traditional 10mm thick indoor/outdoor tiles. Is one better than the other, or easier for me to lay? I've just laid a 100mm slab so we can use the area and as the sub base for when we do the tiles.

IMG_20220705_110733109.jpg

Please ignore the obvious irony of the fact that we'll likely be covering the concrete with concrete effect tiles!

Sponsored Links
given that you’re laying on concrete , i’d suggest the 10mm with bagged adhesive. and grout .
The picture’s not clear , but you should have expansion joints and ideally a dpm under your concrete.

Thanks. It's actually 3 separate slabs, separated by rows of cut paving slabs - the only way realistically that me and my useless teenage son could finish such a large area to a reasonable standard - hopefully this will provide sufficient expansion. The subbase is solid clay (the sort they line canals with) so no point bothering with a dpc.

I'll get looking for some 10mm. Can you (or anyone) recommend a standard set adhesive - I can't keep up with rapid set? And what sort of bed thickness am I looking at, 750mm tiles, I reckon the slabs is +- 5mm.
IMG_20220704_093017478.jpg

Sponsored Links
mapei Keraquick.
or ultra tile proflex spes.
If you buy it from a tile supplier they’ll be able to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back