Porch roof - attach to fascia or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A upvc porch is being added to the side of my bungalow. The plan outlined by the fitter is to have the porch roof attached to the fascia board and the roof timbers behind it. I think this is viewed as necessary to achieve the required fall for the roof, however, I've seen that neighbours with porches and conservatories in the same position, and more depth in some cases, have the roof sat just below the eaves. The pitch of their porch and conservatory roofs is pretty shallow, but they seem to work.

Advantage of attaching to the fascia just below the gutter will be greater height internally and more of a fall for the roof. However, I'm not keen on having the porch attached to the existing fascia like that. Seems like a more flimsy form of construction and it means that the porch and fascia board (which is quite long) become dependent on one another. Supposing the fascia board needs to come off in future for some reason because of an issue further along...?

What would you guys do?

Attachments

• 20240216_134703.jpg
    20240216_134703.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Any takers...?

Here are the neighbouring ones... that conservatory looks very low and my porch wouldn't be as deep, so the required fall can presumably be achieved without needing to attach to the fascia up to gutter level, albeit that some head height would be gained by doing so.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319-131412_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319-131412_Maps.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240319-131455_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319-131455_Maps.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back