porch roof rebed tile and point verge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Try as I might to get a roofer to even come out to quote for a small job I've decided I'm gonna have to do it myself... I guess its August and everyone's on holiday...

We have a dodgy down pipe which spews tons of water over our porch roof so fast that it misses the gutter completely. Its badly positioned and needs moving (but as I say I can't get anyone to quote). The water has damaged the verge on the porch roof, its all cracked. But only underneath 1 tile, as the rest of the porch roof adjoins a wall and is therefore leaded, there is no verge.

I'm going to take the tile off myself (it has a lead cover on it so I'm nervous about moving it) knock out the old mortar bed (just for this one tile... I can't do the whole line as they're covered in lead) rebed the tile and then re point the verge. Its currently all done as one - it looks like the bed and verge were done at same time, no join etc....

Does this sound reasonable? I assume all the remaining tiles will also be sitting on a bed of mortar? If so, how far shall I chop out the old mortar of the problem tile? We currently don't seem to have any leak issues and I'd hate to make it worse!!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back