Portable door lock help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son is back off to uni in September but the new house he is moving into has no bedroom door locks. The landlord says that none can be fitted. I know you can get portable door locking mechanisms for locking a door internally, but is there such a device that he can lock when he leaves the room? I did find this http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/s2b/bui_pdfs/unilock.pdf but when I contacted them they said the lock isnt in production yet!

Any ideas please

Sponsored Links
If that's what the landlord says, then the only thing your son can do as far as I can see is to secure any valuables inside the room as best he can, or take them with him when he goes out.

Travel goods companies often sell things for helping with security in foreign hotels, and this may give you a place to start looking.

I'd be asking the landlord if he will provide contents insurance for the entire property then. It's usually down to each tenant to insure their own property, but insurers often stipulate the room must be secured.

Thanks for both replies. I am waiting for my insurer to speak to their underwriter regarding whether they will insure an unlocked room or not. I have looked at travel goods but cannot see anything suitable as the door needs locking on exit. One thing I did find though on the web is Entrance knob sets, if I can find out the type of door handle set up of his room then perhaps I can just replace it the handles with these. Any more ideas gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
insurers will not cover theft where there is no sign of forced entry and the house is in multiple occupation. The other tenants, and indeed the landlord, have free access to take whatever they want at any time.

It could be useful to know how old the house is, and if the doors have ever had a lock fitted before. Old houses often had low quality sashlocks fitted on internal doors, and these can be upgraded to a more modern lock without spoiling the appearance of the door, though the mortice will need chiselling out as the new lock is usually thicker, so it needs to be done by a skilled person to avoid the damage that the landlord is presumably worried about (unless his reason is that he likes to snoop about peoples rooms)

The knobsets you are thinking about usually need a large hole to be drilled in the door to take the mechansim, and are not much good anyway

It is very common for students in shared accomodation to be robbed and burgled, they are not used to keeping things secure and any one of them, or their friends, acquiantances, drinking buddies etc might leave doors and windows open, or be the culprit. You might consider a secure cabinet for the laptop but it would need to be screwed dow, probably to the floor inside a wardrobe, since I expect the landlord would not want holes drilled in the walls. But anyone with easy access could snoop round and come back later with appropriate tools.

BTW it might be worth considering how much the landlord will charge if a lock is fitted and he claims it has damaged the door, and how long it will be before he finds out. A yale lock leaves quite a large unsightly hole, but a mortice lock, skilfully done, can be quite unobtrusive

Sounds like some good advice there JohnD. I will need to wait until we visit the house to determine whether there has been a mortice lock fitted previously or whatever and to see if it can be upgraded. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back