Portable generator sound proof box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently bought a small portable generator (2kva) (Dimensions: L x W x H (mm) 560 X 340 X 415) which, although reasonably quite, is still too noisy for me as I have neighbours close by.

For this reason I am considering building a sound proof box of sorts. Has anyone ever built such an enclosure? What materials are the best (within a reasonable budget)? What factors do I need to consider such as air intake, exhaust etc. and how do I address these?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Given that the noise from a generator comes from the engine exhaust, I would think you are trying to achieve the impossible.

I had a similar problem with a slightly smaller gene that I use when camping / fishing. I made a transit box that hinges open when the gene is in use but the shape of the box directs the noise in one direction, I just set it up to point in the direction I want the noise to go, ie, away from the campsite, neighbours etc. It works so well a couple of times I have forgotten to turn it off.

Regards,

Barney.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought an exhaust silencer, as used on cars, would help. It will increase back-pressure, but you could have a large bore to reduce flow obstruction.

If (as usual) it is a 2-stroke engine, there are ways of working out pipe and chamber length to increase engine efficiency by resonance, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Back