Portable Hard Drive for USB 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some help, my dell laptop is low on memory so am considering transferring some files and photos to an external memory, the problem I have is that most if not all of the hard drives refer to being USB 2 when asked if they would be USB 1 compatable the answers are inconclusive, any suggestions would be appreciated with regards to CDRW or memory stick as an alternative means of transferring files.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure any mass storage device will work on USB 1. However, it will be slow. Really, amazingly, unbearably, uselessly slow.

If your laptop is that old and slow, it's long due replacement.

I think USB 1 is only 11 Mb/s but you probably have 100Mb/s network. You could get a NAS device that would be a LOT faster than USB 1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XGP1...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002XGP1VC

If you get a new laptop, you should be able to network them and transfer files directly.

If your laptop is that old and slow, it's long due replacement.

I am happily using an 11-year old laptop to write this. It only has USB 1.1 and no CD-RW. (OK, I'm running Linux because Windows XP was getting unreliable.)

Sponsored Links
Back