Position of bathroom downlights - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on positioning of downlights in the bathroom below. Because of roof space, the downlights need to go down the middle of the room. I'll also put a vanity light of some sort above the mirror (on the left hand wall above the sink).

I've got 4 downlights (all IP65 rated) but obv don't need to use them all.

Specifically I'm in a quandary as to whether I should put one directly above the bath. My concern is a) a little one often sits in the bath and will she forever be blinded while looking up and b) when I shower will the heat from the light be annoying (or even dangerous).

So current thoughts are even spacing down the middle of the room starting from wherever I decide to position the light nearest the bath.

V grateful for urgent help. I need to mark the holes for the electrician today. (And obviously all will be subject to joists...)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you've decided that they have to go down the middle, and you're worried about them being too bright, then maybe don't use 50W lamps in them. You could use all four, but use a lower wattage lamp in each.

Good point. Thanks. I have put a dimmer on them, too (outside the room before anyone worries).

Specifically, though, I'm particularly in need of advice about the light above the bath.

What else are you worried about? You have IP65 fittings, so the location isn't a problem.

Sponsored Links
Heat, blinding while sitting in bath ...

... the global economy, a knock my 2yo took while riding a trike this morning, deadlines...

As a follow up, I went with four lights, straight down the middle, with the end one, nearest the bath, just slightly inset from bath edge.

The effect is light in the bath, but no terrible blinding when sitting in it and looking up. Plus when it's off centre, there's less direct heat from standing near it while under the shower.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back