Position of cable in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered a cable in a wall of my house. The wall is external, but inner leaf is still constructed from studwork/plasterboard, as it is a timber framed house.

The cable isn't currently in a permitted zone. It is protected by RCD. It is buried less than 50mm from the surface. I wanted to check my understanding before I re-route it.

As I understand it, the cable must either be
a) more than 50mm below the surface of the wall or
b) installed within 150mm of a corner & protected by RCD or
c) comply with 522.6.204

Given the wall construction, would the easiest thing be to clip it back to the rear of the stud so it is buried more than 50mm? It is currently notched through the top of the stud on the inside, but I can probably put a metal plate over that to offer mechanical protection as per 522.6.204.

Alternatively, I can move it over 200mm so it is within a permitted zone formed by an internal corner. Advice welcome, thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you need a new socket, fit one below and in line with the buried cable and it should comply.

Blup

Thanks for the idea. It would end up behind a wardrobe though so probably not the best place for a socket!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back