Bunched cables though stud timbers

True - but, as we have agreed, the wording of that reg is so flawed as to be almost meaningless.
Which really results in it being so flawed and meaningless as to remove it from the list of ways to comply with 522.6.101.

An interesting thought. Are you therefore suggesting that there is no way of complying with 522.6.101(ii)?
No - it's straightforward to comply. The problem is the screwed nature of the earth connection, so if that is not concealed, or if it is accessible for inspection, then all is well.

But the OP is proposing to just wall the whole thing up behind plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
No your right - a copy of the Regs is on order, I have been referencing from a 150pp book by Brian Scaddan, 17th Edition IEE wiring Regulations Explained and Illustrated - it has a chapter on 'Protection' and mentions 5.22, but it lacks the detail I need, are there any other publications I should consider ?

A 3mm wall - seen as acceptable by a person qualified to certify electrics.

True - but, as we have agreed, the wording of that reg is so flawed as to be almost meaningless.
Which really results in it being so flawed and meaningless as to remove it from the list of ways to comply with 522.6.101.
Probably. As you have pointed out, one couldn't attempt to comply with it without assuming that it meant to say things which it doesn't actually say!
An interesting thought. Are you therefore suggesting that there is no way of complying with 522.6.101(ii)?
No - it's straightforward to comply. The problem is the screwed nature of the earth connection, so if that is not concealed, or if it is accessible for inspection, then all is well. ... But the OP is proposing to just wall the whole thing up behind plasterboard.
I'm not sure that it is as simple as that, is it? If earthed conduit is being used within walls (because cables are not in safe zones), then I would have thought that it would be unusual for one to really be able to say that the earth connection was 'accessible', wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

are there any other publications I should consider ?
41wbPkrqw6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Site-Guide-Regulations-incorporating-Amendment/dp/1849192871 or http://electrical.theiet.org/books/regulations/on-site-17th-ed-amd1.cfm

41hj3o997nL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418627 or http://www.theiet.org/publishing/books/wir-reg/electricians-guide-part-p-2nd-edition.cfm

But I think you should stop the DIYing - right now it will only cost you a floor and a few bits of studding to have someone come and do it properly - if you continue to blunder on it could cost you the entire build.

A 3mm wall - seen as acceptable by a person qualified to certify electrics.
Not necessarily.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that it is as simple as that, is it? If earthed conduit is being used within walls (because cables are not in safe zones), then I would have thought that it would be unusual for one to really be able to say that the earth connection was 'accessible', wouldn't it?
It would be accessible where the conduit was bushed into a box connected to the cpc. Only if the run was so long that there was an entire section connected with concealed couplers at each end would you have a problem. Never had to think about that, but my immediate reaction is you shouldn't/mustn't do it that way - if the run really were that long you should/must have accessible inspection points. Which you'd probably need anyway to have any chance of drawing the cables in.

It would be accessible where the conduit was bushed into a box connected to the cpc. ...
If it were a sunken/flush box (which it probably would be if the conduit was within a wall), then the threaded connection between the conduit and whatever was coupling it to the box would not, in any meaningful sense, be 'accessible', would it?

Kind Regards, John

I suppose you could thread and couple in the usual way and then put a small weld on the joint if you really need an inaccessible joint.

If it were a sunken/flush box (which it probably would be if the conduit was within a wall), then the threaded connection between the conduit and whatever was coupling it to the box would not, in any meaningful sense, be 'accessible', would it?
It would be no less accessible than the terminals of the accessory.

Of course, should an inspection reveal that the bush was loose.... :confused:

I've seen situations where bushes have been loose and the containment not effectively earthed as a result, but this has always been on surface mount installations. Also I have no idea if it was a result of bad initial installation or wear and tear.

I've also seen situations where back boxes have been exposed to damp for a prolonged period causing the earth connection to the conduit to fail. This could affect flush conduit installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back