Protecting cables in stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My attic has internal walls of 3" deep x 2" wide timbers supporting lath and plaster. I have had to route some 2.5mm sq cable, though keeping it always horizontal or vertical, outside or offset of a direct alignment with one socket. Wherever the cable passes through a stud (it is less than 2" from the surface)I could screw a thin metal plate, say 2" x 4" to the stud on the outside. But can the rest of the free and unattached cable be left unprotected in the void? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, Lectrician.
Please how can I determine 'zones' in my attic area? I have a copy of 'The Electrician's Guide' by John Whitfield in which book zone dimensions are only described in bathrooms areas etc (p135). And please, why would the cable need to be protected if outside of a zone, as you imply?

Vertical and Horizontal cable runs are obvious, so people should take care when drilling directly to the side or above/below a plug socket. But if you are running a cable at say, 45 degrees, then people don't expect the cable there. That is when it needs protecting.

This is just what I have gleaned from previous posts, so don't quote me on it.

Sponsored Links
My thanks to Lectrician, AdamW and fubar.
(I now know there are 'acceptable zones' as well as 'Zones').
But, if a cable runs directly horizontally or vertically from a socket (therefore in an acceptable zone) can this cable be unprotected even if it is less than 5cm from the surface, and either buried in plaster or supported (but free) in the void of a stud wall?

But, if a cable runs directly horizontally or vertically from a socket (therefore in an acceptable zone) can this cable be unprotected even if it is less than 5cm from the surface, and either buried in plaster or supported (but free) in the void of a stud wall?

Yes. Take another look at the text in the box on the first page of the second link I gave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back