Position of magnetic filter on return pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so be gentle. I'm currently looking to install a magnetic filter to my central heating system but I'm struggling as to where I can put it. I have a fridge right underneath my boiler so I can't put it on ch return pipe directly behind the fridge. My question is this, can I install the filter inline where I've marked it in the photo? It will have room next to the boiler itself then. I presume it's a return from upstairs rads. There's nowhere else it will fit because of the fridge. I'm only a diyer but I'm ok with compression fittings etc but I need to know does it have to get fitted before that t junction in the pipe where it goes towards the kitchen ceiling. Where the pipe is painted white in other words. When I move the fridge back there is literally about 2 inches space all around it you see. It's a combi boiler. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180412-184217.jpg
    Screenshot_20180412-184217.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro but You can put it where you like, if you put it on a branch with less water flow it'll be less effective, but if the grime is circulating it'll get there eventually.
If you put it on the return it's ideal because it will prevent any big bits getting lodged in the boiler but if you can't do it you can't do it.

I'm not a pro but You can put it where you like, if you put it on a branch with less water flow it'll be less effective, but if the grime is circulating it'll get there eventually.
If you put it on the return it's ideal because it will prevent any big bits getting lodged in the boiler but if you can't do it you can't do it.
Yeah, I'm getting a new boiler soon so the system will be getting protected anyway. Just been recommended one of these for the job. It looks perfect for my needs. Probably fit it soon when I can drain down the system. Thanks anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOWFLEX...121316?hash=item3f9758d664:g:y7QAAOSw9Z1aakEx

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A filter, even in a less than ideal position, is better than no filter. If the top of the return (painted white) is from the upstairs rads, and the pipe below the tee is from the downstairs rads, then yes, a filter installed on painted part of pipe will only intercept half of the debris before it enters the boiler. Not ideal, but better than nothing. Would struggle how you could do it to filter all returning water without pipework changes.

Maybe fit the filter where you intend to now, but with a plan to re-engineer the pipes when the time comes to change boiler.

Sponsored Links
Get a central heating engineer in to fit it and have the return pipework altered to suit. Pointless having a mag filter installed if it isn't protecting the boiler properly. Won't take much to alter that layout to allow it to fitted after the branch

I won't need the pipe rejigging will I? That one I found in eBay will fit perfectly in the return pipe going towards the floor. Or am I missing something? Like in this picture...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-160518.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-160518.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 701
Obviously not an expert but why is that a bodge job? That filter is designed for my circumstances exactly isn't it, or is it not in the right position or something. I'd rather people explain to me why they think it's not right rather than just say bodge job.

Did you not read Madrabs post......or just choose to ignore his advice ??

Get a central heating engineer in to fit it and have the return pipework altered to suit. Pointless having a mag filter installed if it isn't protecting the boiler properly. Won't take much to alter that layout to allow it to fitted after the branch

I did read it yes but the penny has only just dropped. I'm not an expert as I've stated on numerous occasions.
What you fellas are saying is that no matter where I fit that filter (either above or below the branch) it will only filter half the water going directly into the boiler. The only way of filtering all of the water is to fit one after that branch. It would require new pipework yes. Which brings me all the way back to my original problem of not having any room when the fridge is pushed back into position.
I might just fit one on each side then to truly bodge it.

I don’t have a mag filter fitted currently but I am having a new boiler fitted in the next few months. I’ll get whoever installs the boiler to fit a mag filter at the same time. It’ll be cheaper if done in conjunction with a boiler, they’ll know exactly where to fit it, it won’t be a diy bodge and there’ll be no wiggle room if any warranty issues crop up that can be put down to a wrongly fitted filter.

I don’t have a mag filter fitted currently but I am having a new boiler fitted in the next few months. I’ll get whoever installs the boiler to fit a mag filter at the same time. It’ll be cheaper if done in conjunction with a boiler, they’ll know exactly where to fit it, it won’t be a diy bodge and there’ll be no wiggle room if any warranty issues crop up that can be put down to a wrongly fitted filter.
Yeah, think I'll do the same myself now.

Pointless having a mag filter installed if it isn't protecting the boiler properly
Not pointless, after one lap of the system half the water will have been through, after 10 laps of the system 99.9% of the water will have been through.
So unless it's big enough to jam in the boiler it'll get caught in the end.
Won't take much to alter that layout to allow
true that for a pro it won't be.

@Hairyeyeballs, the reason I say that it's pointless is, if you are going to the trouble to alter the pipework to get a mag filter in anywhere then you may as well as do the job properly and have it placed onto the single return pipe feeding into the boiler, that way you get max benefit from the start and then it's done.

after one lap of the system half the water will have been through
Hmmmm ..... Hard to say that when it's unknown what's on that leg of the return?? May only be 2 small rads and the other 10 large rads are on the other leg ;)

John also says that for a pro it won't be difficult but TBH, if you are handy and competent with compression joints and a pipe cutter, which you would have to be really if you want to fit your own mag filter, then you could re-jig that pipework to give enough of a pipe run on the single return without a huge amount of effort, just a bit of thought.

What is the inline filter you are thinking of?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back