positioning new stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've replaced my service pipe to my house (was lead now MDPE) and in the process of bringing it under the slab and outside wall to rise under my kitchen sink (sink is sited on same wall).

I have one question for those in the know regarding the positioning of the internal stop cock. I understand that there is a requirement for this to be a minimum distance from an outside wall. Something like 75mm? What is that measurement and is it measured from the outside edge or the inside edge of the wall? The walls are over 75mm thick and I would prefer to it mounted against the wall if possible.

Sponsored Links
Just position it to allow for maintenance and make sure its above plinth height of kitchen units.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you. I have the drain valve ready to fit.

The query about the distance from the outside wall came about following a water authority inspectors visit (we are on a shared supply and we talked about changing to a single feed). He mentioned what the water authority would want to check before connecting us up with a single supply and the distance issue was in his verbal comments. After receiving a very expensive quote from the water authority we decided to keep on the shared supply but to change everything from the property boundary to our house to MDPE. I am no longer sure whether his comments about the distance applies i.e. whether it would only apply if we were connecting up to a single service point which we are not. hope that makes sense. I think it probably no longer matters but wanted to check.

Think of putting a new water pipe into a newly built house.... The pipe goes in along with the groundwork, foundations and floor slab, and ends up against a brick wall.

Along comes the plasterer.....

Then the skirting boards.....

And then the plumber, who wants to fit the stopcock on the end of the pipe that's now buried in plaster, and has had a nail driven through the skirting into it :evil:

Assuming the stopcock finally does finally get fitted , the compression gland nut could now be below floor level, because the pipe with the nail in has been cut back. A large lump of plaster has been chipped away, along with a chunk of the wall behind to accommodate the body of the stopcock. The pipe can't be moved, because it is concreted into the floor.

When all is made good afterwards, imagine trying to change the stopcock ten years or so down the line when it has packed up, but all you can see is the handle sticking out of the plaster.

I think starting off with the pipe 3" away from the wall is beginning to sound like a very good idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back