moving stop cock accross kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to move my stop cock from one side of the kitchen to the other approx 2.5meters.
For whatever reason the builders in 1976 thought it would be clever to put it in a stuipd awkward place.

Currently the mdpe comes out the floor about 120mm in to a brass stop cock then to 15mm copper.

Can I dig the concrete floor up, join the mdpe to a new piece of mdpe and then run across the room, and replicate the stop cock to copper in the new position?

My major concern is joining the mdpe and then covering it in concrete?

Every house in the road is like this, some neighbors have done this extention under concrete some just routed above floor better and box in remaining. Which is my back up.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
By all means extend your pipe, but you would be well advised not to cover the connection in concrete.

You may have to create a small access hatch so you get to the connector in future.
Run the new piece of pipe in some suitable trunking to protect it.

By all means extend your pipe, but you would be well advised not to cover the connection in concrete.

You may have to create a small access hatch so you get to the connector in future.
Run the new piece of pipe in some suitable trunking to protect it.

Thanks. Exactly just hate for it to leak!

What trunking is advisible?

The plastic exposed at the moment sweats, so needs lagging/insulation too within the trunking?

No doubt the mdpe is just slapped in the floor with concrete from new, but should be one length!

Sponsored Links
If it's black it's most likely alkathene. I would't fit a plastic main stop cock.

Looks like philmac do plenty of compression converter fittings that I may look to use. Another option is to undo the joint on the plastic currently and lower it reusing the same fitting, still above ground.

Or maybe lower it below ground but have access to it for checking/replacing. Might be a big ole thou!
Some pictures

View media item 66701 View media item 66702

Philmac fittings (3G) will fit black Alkathene and MDPE without adaptors.

No inserts required for Alkathene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back