Possible Dry Rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone can help. I've just prodded a hole in our hallway door frame and the bottom is rotten.

As per picture a lot of brown dust has fallen out and there is a mould odour to it.

I think I'm looking at dry rot although praying I'm not. Frame is next to an internal wall we had damp proofed/re plastered when we moved in 4 years ago

The hallway is newly decorated with carpet fitted two months ago. No sign of any issues when painting/old carpet taken up. Old tiles underneath.

Any chance this could be historic? Quite a lot of dust has come out and I've dug around under the hole. Higher up the frame feels okay - no sign of any mushrooms/fungus either? Clutching at straws I guess, but can't really face the prospect of expensive treatment/destroying our recent decorating.

https://s10.postimg.org/awercj2ft/image.jpg

Sponsored Links
could well be historic could just be rotten, can you have a look under the floorboards, look for both fruiting bodies or tendrils.

Its an old tiled floor - no floorboards/direct onto ground. We had the carpet done a few weeks ago and didn't see and signs of a problem then (although equally didn't notice a smell/probably would have dismissed a small bit of brown/red dust at that time).

We'd painted the surrounding walls and the door frame just before the carpet went down recently. This wall had been injected with a damp proof course and re-plastered when we moved in 4 years ago due to damp issues.

I don't think the new skirting board next to door frame is damaged (which was fitted 4 years ago) although difficult to say for certain. Having tried to dig out all the dust from the small hole last night I couldn't see any evidence of any fruiting body - just the dust and a bit of rotten wood (but, its only a small hole so limited to what I can see). There did seem to be an awful lot of the dust coming out.

What's the best next step - I'm cynical that if I call someone out I'm going to get told I need to take up the carpet, hack of the plaster regardless.

You won't have dry rot in a hallway.

Cut the rotten section out and fill or splice it.

But you need to check that is not damp behind it

Sponsored Links
Thanks - doesn't appear to be damp from what I can see - floor looked okay when we took it up. Its an internal wall with both sides damp proofed/re-plastered 4 years ago.

If its not Dry Rot - what is the dust? - just old wood that has totally rotted/hidden being the frame (and presumingly giving off a rotting smell).

It might have had damp or still be damp, and they may have been or still be some insects munching away on it.

Has any historic building work "moved" the frame from a more exposed position by construction of, say, a new enclosed porch?

I cant be certain from the photo but the rot appears to be historic wet rot missed/or just left by the Damp Company from 4yrs ago.
Why was damp work done 4yrs ago - what was the cause? Do you still have the report and guarantee?
To be a little more certain it would be best, as suggested above, to remove all the rotted base of the frame. Has filler previously been applied?
The skirting appears to be historic - not new - I would gently lever it off, and examine the backside (first use a utility knife to cut free all paintwork).
After exposing the frame and wall behind the skirting why not post a photo.

From your description of tile "direct onto the ground" the possibility is damp rising from below causing the damp conditions.
Research on here about what to do with such a situation.

Thanks for all the comments.

Damp work was done due to massive damp patches on party wall (opposite this one) which was picked up in the survey. Frame hasn't moved that I'm aware of although its a very strange house (ex post office) its an internal hallway without an exit outside.

Company we got to do it said damp proofing/replastering needed doing on party wall/hallway wall (and other side - study), kitchen wall and the external wall of the study. We naively only got one quote/a recommendation and I'm not convinced what they quoted for was needed (or a particularly good job) especially as they failed to spot damp patches in Living room.

Skirting is from four years ago when damp company re-plastered and then fitted new skirting. Unfortunately, I can't lever it off as just to the right of the picture is a radiator and the inlet pipe runs underneath it across the skirting (so that blocks removal).

I'll try and dig out the rest of the rotten frame and see what I can see behind it (once the wife calms down when I explain what I've uncovered!). Not sure if filler was previously applied - I don't think so - we recently painted the frames, but I don't recall filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back