Possible dry rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would really appreciate any pointers from the experts out there, as I am concerned there may be dry rot.

Small patches of a fluffy white cotton wool type material have appeared in the garden shed, particularly where items such as card board boxes are in contact with the shed floor. Some of the material contains short white worm like creatures. The attached photos are of the shed floor; the white stuff measures about 3" by 4"

Cheers

Blup

Attachments

• shed floor 1.JPG
    shed floor 1.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 121
  • shed floor 2.JPG
    shed floor 2.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
Looking again at the photos the "worms" are yellow, you can see one on the lower right hand side of the first pic.

Blup

That's not dry rot. The yellow worm looks like some type of maggot.

This is bizarre. I'm repairing my shed just now, and have found loads of these, which I was intent on googling but did not know what words to search on!

There are maggots or caterpillars inside, and the fluffy stuff is dead tough and it is mainly between two pieces of wood and has stuck them together like glue.

So certainly not rot, and if any David Attenboroughs could tell me what they would grow up to be I'd be interested.

Sponsored Links
Wasp larvae look a bit like that, although the nest looks a bit different.

As Woody says the white fluffy stuff is very tough. It clings to gaps in the floor; when scraped off it takes some of the surface wood with it.

Really grateful for everyone's input

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back