Possible leak from main water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if someone would be able to help?

I was cleaning under the kitchen cupboard that is in front of the main water pipe as it comes through the concrete floor.

I noticed that there was a small puddle of water under it, which I cleaned up.

I have noticed that the puddle has returned and I am worried that I have a leak from the pipe. There does not appear to be a leak from the stopcock and the concrete around the pipe is saturated with water.

There is not a great deal of water however I am quite concerned.

I have checked all the appliances and there does not appear to be any leaks from them.

Any ideas what could be causing this and more importantly, is it going to cost the earth to sort out?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Leaking water can run down the outside pipe from above and pool on the floor where the pipe emerges from the concrete, so check this by tying a rag around the pipe higher up from the floor level to see if it gets wet.

Often water drips down from draining board or around edge of taphole on worktop and the outside of the pipe can be the route it takes to get down. Water always goes down if it can.

It is not unknown for a pipe to leak where it goes into concrete, but also there could be water seeping up via the edge of the hole the pipe is coming through.

Dry the floor with a hairdryer, clean the pipe with steel wool and have a really good look with a bright torch.

If it comes up as a copper pipe and is buried in concrete and not insulated then you probably have a leak under the ground level. This is pretty common after about 20 years (same problem in my kitchen.) Can you take a look or better still a photo? If it is an under floor leak you'll have to get access to it so you can dig down and fix it. Is there access? Or will you have to take out part of the kitchen? Where does the pipe go to? can you trace it? The whole pipe may need sorting if it has all perished.

Where's JohnD - he's usually got a trick or two.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your quick replies.

I've managed to take a few photographs, however due to where the pipe is they are not of the best quality.

I am in the process of trying to dry the area completely, however it's not the most accessible of places! I will give the hairdryer a go.

The pipe is away from the sink and on a different wall so I do not think that it is anything to do with this (the area under the sink is dry) however I am still checking.

I really hope that the leak is not from under the concrete as it will mean ripping out a section of the kitcen to get to it.

Many thanks. View media item 30671 View media item 30672 View media item 30673 View media item 30674

I would suspect that the culprit is the DOT situated above the stop cock, check that the end of the spout as shown in photo 2, is not wet.

spraggo

It could well be condensation. But as Sprag suggests it looks as if there may be a drop of water on the end of the drain cock!

Do you do a lot of steamy cooking?

Is there condensation on your windows?

Tony

You could check for a leak with a pressure test.

If there is one, dig up a little concrete around the pipe, but if nothing is evident, then consider laying a bypass pipe and disconnect the redundant leaking section at either end.

I would suspect that the culprit is the DOT situated above the stop cock, check that the end of the spout as shown in photo 2, is not wet.

spraggo
I think I can see a drip on the end , Cock ;) look closely - I find a close examination can reveal a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back