Leaking union on water main pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just noticed a leak from the main water pipe that comes up out the floor (under sink), it's leaking on a union before the stopcock but I'm not sure which nut(s) to tighten. Please see photo, it's leaking from the thread where I've pointed with the arrow.

Help appreciated.
Thanks.

1655226214929.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've just been out to try and turn off the supply but I can't seem to find it. I suspect I need to dig out all the soil around the water meter.

water meter.JPG

Sponsored Links
Unusual to split - the size is in your case- 3/4 inch B S P (British Standard Pipe ) which goes on the bore of the steel pipe, and so on to large sizes. That's how it's measured.

OP,
Presumably you did find the external shut-off and did you freely operate it?
Dont cover it up now its been exposed - you, the householder, should be able to immediately access and operate shut-offs.
So should anyone else! In an emergency immediate access is needed not digging around.

Yes, dug out some soil and was able to turn it off fine. Turned freely.
That's the first time I've had to turn it off in the street, it's an 11 year old new(ish) build/modern house, whatever you want to call it. Had to tell the neighbours kids to stop putting stuff down there last year, but the water board must have removed everything as they changed the meter last year.

A wet and dry canister vac is also good for cleaning out those pits, even if they are half full of water.

If you have a metal extension tube, you can use it to jab into the dirt to break it up.

Always cover them in some dirt again afterwards. It insulates them, stops them freezing and stops them getting stuck.

You need 750mm min depth for a non-freezing depth, not a few handfuls of soil in a meter chamber box - unless your idea is to fill the meter chamber to the brim with soil?
FWIW: i've worked on 1300mm deep chambers - would you still recommend your cover with soil approach?
Pushing some polystyrene down the box below a well fitting cover will mostly prevent freezing.

You & the guy on utube are both wrong about adding soil to a chamber.
Dont you know that just copy catting something from the internet doesn't make it Gospel.
Instead of your getting all hetup why dont you answer the objections in my earlier posts?

Your expert on utube made a couple of other mistakes in his vid - one obvious mistake concerned the
internal shut-off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back