Leaking gas union

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently found a very small leak in the gas inlet/isolator valve to a friends Baxi Bahama 100 boiler along with water leaks both sides of the double check valve in the fill loop and at the boiler's mains water inlet valve.

The water leaks were no problem to fix but the gas leak may be a different matter. A bubble test on the gas inlet/isolator valve shows a leak coming from the threads around the back nut on the inlet side of the valve - like the water inlet and check valve it's probably not been tightened properly.

Ordinarily, if it's a water union, I'd just nip the back nut up some more but as it's on the gas and it's 22mm I'm a little concerned about applying enough force on a spanner to tighten the nut only to find the thread's been crossed or something. Am I right in believing this leak should only be fixed by a Corgi registered engineer or is it something I could do?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
you are correct, it should be looked at by a Gas Safe registered engineer (no longer Corgi)

Sponsored Links
Dude, you should know, tightening a joint randomly can make it worse! :eek:

OP. Get and RGI/National Grid ASAP to check it out with the correct equipment. Shouldn't cost a bomb (in both senses of the word).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back