Possible seized pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had the boiler serviced roughly two months ago. The chap fitted a new pump (danfoss bfp 11 L3), nozzle and adjusted the electrodes. He commented that the burner was running very cleanly.

However, after three weeks of trouble free running, the boiler (HRM wallstar) kept going to lock out, so I would patiently wait and after one or two presses of the reset/lock out button, it would fire up. This progressively got worse, and the boiler would go to lock out during the burning cycle, but would eventually start again after patient waiting and pressing of the lockout button.

Now it will not fire at all, the pump doesn't seem to turn. I managed to get it going once or twice by tapping the pump with a hammer. So am I safe to assume that the pump is seized and needs replacing? This would be the fifth in seven years! Or might it be the motor/control box/capacitor?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried ringing and texting the oil engineer to ask him to return and diagnose and fix, but he hasn't returned my calls; turns out my neighbour had similar dealings with him! Might just add that in the past I have replaced the pump/nozzle/tiger loop, so happy to engage in replacing items of similar difficulty. Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Five pumps in seven years!? Sounds to me like you've got an underlying problem that's not being correctly diagnosed. Does the fan spin when you press the reset? If so, the pump isn't siezed, as they're both joined to the same drive shaft. I'd plump for either solenoid coil or control box based on info given so far

Hi Muggles, cheers for the reply. Neither the fan or pump moves, when reset is pressed. Can hear things clicking though (guessing that might be solenoid/electrodes etc). The fan did move and the boiler fired a couple of times when the pump was tapped with a hammer, but nothing now....

There was a problem with water in the tank a few years back, but that's rectified now.

Quick update.

As a first port of call, I tried again to contact the engineer, but he continues still not to return my messages; so definitely in the naughty book now:86:

I then asked for recommendations from my local community internet noticeboard, but the engineers that were recommended were fully booked till Christmas; and with no heating/hot water..... not an option.

So, I removed the burner unit, replaced nozzle as there was a build up of gunk at the feed end. Then I removed the pump, and on further inspection (removing the filter housing), found the reason for it's seizure, very rusty and gunky in there; so I replaced the pump.

I then dealt with the cause of these problems, by syphoning out circa 25-30 litres of (water) tainted oil from the tank; and then removed and thoroughly cleaned a gunked up in-line filter.

The boiler now fires up first time, burns continuously and to my eye burns cleanly with no smoke. Obviously I don't have the correct gauges etc; but with a bit of logic and a bit of stubbornness; I have got to a point where the other half is happy, and that's good enough for me . I've booked it in for a service at the end of January, so any issues relating to lack of gauges etc, can hopefully wait till then.:38:

Fingers crossed I'm not back here too soon, asking more questions, cheers.

Sponsored Links
You need to set the oil pressure and air intake to give the correct co2 reading... a burner can soot up in hours if its not done properly. Don't leave it running like this for too long.

As above, I wouldn't leave it to the end of January to get it set up properly - you could end up with a hefty bill for cleaning a load of baked-in soot out of your boiler. Correct setup should be carried out ASAP. Where in Somerset are you? I know a couple of guys down there...

Hmm going to be a bit far away for my guys I think, sorry. Do try to get it looked at soon though

No worries, and cheers for the advice. I'll do what I can in the meantime to get it looked at.

Posted ad for engineer on another forum, and someone is coming monday to adjust air & oil pressure etc.... result! Cheers everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back