Possible Sycamore tree problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a large sycamore tree reduced in size across the crown by about 25% in the first week of March.

All seemed well as a full leaf canopy appeared as usual.

However in the last week quite a few of the leaves have turned brown and some have fallen off.
And a lot of of the rest are wilting.

Is this usual after such a 'trim', or is it something to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Have any other nearby trees or bushes died in the last ten years?

Sponsored Links
Another one to look at. There seems to be some suggestion that if other trees have died in the past few years, it can have an effect on others.

Another one to look at. There seems to be some suggestion that if other trees have died in the past few years, it can have an effect on others.

Had three quotes and all said it was ok in late autumn or Feb/March

Just been down and got some photos so hopefully that will explain it better.

tree2.jpg

tree3.jpg

tree5.jpg

tree1.jpg

Attachments

• tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 33
Was talking to my boss earlier, and I asked him about the trees we had pollared about 18 months ago, (in the autumn), which were a couple of elms and 3 wild cherries. He said in the spring, the first few branches that developed leaves seemed to die off after a few weeks, but then later in the season he noticed they were in leaf again. Maybe just keep an eye on them and see if any other branches become affected? (or if they recover).

Was talking to my boss earlier, and I asked him about the trees we had pollared about 18 months ago, (in the autumn), which were a couple of elms and 3 wild cherries. He said in the spring, the first few branches that developed leaves seemed to die off after a few weeks, but then later in the season he noticed they were in leaf again. Maybe just keep an eye on them and see if any other branches become affected? (or if they recover).
Thanks

Hopefully that will be the case, because if not it'll be a hell of a removal job.

Approx 18m tall before the 'haircut' and triple trunks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back