Extension next to TPO tree - is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Grateful for any advice as I cannot find a post which exactly matches my enquiry.

Part 1. I Have a large weeping Silver Birch which is located approx 3.5 m from property, the large canopy takes up a vast chunk of the garden, is there any realistic possibility that a council will permit removal of tree to allow use of that part of the garden? We love the the tree it is beautiful, but it really has taken over and is making back rooms dull and in the summer full of shade in the garden.

Part 2, I am considering an extension in the future to square the back of the property and give us a formal dining room, in normal circumstances probably agreeable under permitted development however I believe the TPO would alter that? Any new wall installed will be less than a meter from the tree, is having a the tree in that location a complete barrier to ever considering extending the property?
I would assume a wall this close would severely damage tree root system?

I have attempted a (bad) drawing to illustratelocation of tree to existing building, red lines are where any future extension would likely go to.

In have gained permission to reduce the canopy in the past as the branches were touching the property. I believe the tree to be over 50 years old and circumference of trunk is approx 141 cm.

Attachments

• IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Planners would want an Arborist's report to determine if damage to roots was likely and if a root barrier system would be suitable.

Best thing to do is find a disease that the tree is suffering from - sudden branch drop or fungal attack are good ones, or find damage to the building that it is causing. Or allegedly.

You would be best to try justifying getting rid of it before even mentioning an extension. Claim it's a threat to the existing building. I think 8m is the usual guideline used by insurers, but check.

Suggest planting another one or more elsewhere, put some bird boxes up and waffle on about the environment and wildlife to anyone from the council.

Get rid of it, then get permission. Which should be straightforward once it's gone.

Sponsored Links
My point is to try and get official permission to remove it before starting the planning process for the extension.

I'd say it is a threat to the building, it's very close. It's also possibly younger than the house at 50 years.

People plant trees in stupid places. They're lovely when they're not tearing your house apart.

It might be worth speaking to an independent tree expert. I seem to recall that the silver birch has a relatively short lifespan and shallow roots so when they get to a certain size/age they tend to die or fall over. It might be that an arboriculturist could confirm that the tree is reaching the end of its life and should be removed before it poses a danger.

I suspect someone has applied drive-by TPOs across an area, and didn't assess whether they were actually of any merit.

I don't have any TPOs on my land. If I did I'd look into every option. Removal is unlikely but not impossible. It looks to be very close to the existing building, building out towards it definitely won't be allowed while the TPO is in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back