Post & Beam garden motorcycle workshop

Did half the rafters this afternoon, nice and sunny it was too:

DSC_1936.jpg

DSC_1941.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the other side done over the next couple of evenings.

Also realised that instead of making a separate structure for a woodstore on the left side I can simply keep the overhang long,
the handy side of always buying too long, offcuts for noggins or firewood and you can change your mind(!)

Sponsored Links
And some mwoor:

DSC_1942.jpg

DSC_1945.jpg

Got quite efficient after yesterday so this side took little more than an hour,
just got to work out the front and back boards, got to make something like firrings to support the ends of the t&g roof and then I can sheet.

On reflection I could have moved the back crossbeam further forward and made.life a little easier but it just means some more cutting this way.

Looking good.

btw.........just noticed your location. Do you ever get over to Matlock or The Cat & Fiddle?

Looking good.

btw.........just noticed your location. Do you ever get over to Matlock or The Cat & Fiddle?

There was a point where I was up the 515 & cat & fiddle almost weekly, even did it in the snow a few times, few years ago mind. I havent been on the bike in years.
Riddled with speed cameras now anyway,
similar with Matlock, go, eat some crap chips, struggle to park...

(I'm such a miserable git!)

MFN was always a good crack, especially good on crossbow calendar nights, not been there for a while either.

Sponsored Links
DSC_1952.jpg

Got the felt underlay on today after boarding last week:

DSC_1976.jpg

Got this week off work, priority is shed, then getting her kitchen built :p

The felt underlay is interesting stuff, it's polyester easy seal.
Essentially you paint on a sealer onto the board and layout the underlay which is.pretty much like self adhesive bitumous lino type stuff.

Went on within a couple of hours, not cheap though. At least the roof is waterproof now, just got to wait for some more half decent weather and I can lay the capsheet, then that's the roof sorted hopefully for the next 20 years :D

That roof looks good, Where did you buy the stuff from. id like to see if I could get some locally.

Thanks

That roof looks good, Where did you buy the stuff from. id like to see if I could get some locally.

Thanks

Harlows Timber, think they have sites all over.

Actually charge timber yard prices and stocks are good,
Wicks and B&Q are a joke.
(Although wicks is handy at 7pm...)

Sit and draw what you want, then work out how many lengths of what you want in advance.
You may also find that getting stuff cut to length may save alot of time and not cost as much as you think.
(I can get everything cut to length from Harlows for less than it costs uncut from Wicks).

As for progress on the shed, it's stalled at the moment,
Sides sheeted up while I'm building the kitchen...

Edit:
Just realised you probably mean the covering? That actually is from Wicks! (I'm such a hypocrite). It's called Polyester Easyseal, the 20yr stuff for habitable buildings.
Cost a small fortune, but I just wanted the roof watertight quick without the faff of trowel adhesive or torching.
I'm sure similar could be got much cheaper elsewhere if you search around.

Progress has been non-existent, weather has been crap and I needed to figure out how to get more light in, until I knew how I was going to insert a window I couldn't make the side walls.

Well, I finally figured it out and built the first side wall:

DSC_2053.jpg

Window plan is glass blocks! Thick, solid, insulating and cheap!
(I appreciate they're an 80's fashion faux-pas, but I think they'll look quite good.)

The alternatives were plexi glass or double glazing but they were all over priced and offered further security (too easy to put through) and thermal (too thin for plexi) concerns.

Next step will be glass blocks and getting round to the front supports and door frames.
Still got to decide on and buy doors, crikey they're expensive!

Hi cavey- I wondered if there are any updates on this?

I was following the thread with trepidation and it seems that the updates have ceased.

Just wondering if the project has been mothballed or whether the thread hasn't been updated in a while.

Any update would be much appreciated.

Hi cavey- I wondered if there are any updates on this?

I was following the thread with trepidation and it seems that the updates have ceased.

Just wondering if the project has been mothballed or whether the thread hasn't been updated in a while.

Any update would be much appreciated.

It's certainly still going, just a very slow and drawn out process.
Installments to follow now:

I'm sick of trying to find doors, I'd be spending around £300 on a set of thin internal doors,
that I'd still need to give a good paint and cutting down to fit, so;

DSC_2152.jpg

Designed as quickest and cheapest way to make, so its all studding timber screwed together via frame on the back,
It's a bit quick and nasty, but I don't have the time to **** around with tenon cutting and chisels.

Maybe I'll make some nicer ones in a few years, although I think the current look has a certain medieval charm:

DSC_2153.jpg

Ta-door!

DSC_2155.jpg

Three more to go.

Top 4 gaps will host 10mm clear acrylic,
Bottom long gaps will be tongue and groove cladding, reinforced with some steel tie-straps,
as otherwise; they're a little too appealing to kick and crawl through,
I want them to make some noise, and I keep a chainsaw in the house for just such an occassion*.

This door is 76mm thick and heavy!
(3 inch in old money)

*no really, I do.[/quote]

4 manhours to cut the wood and assemble versus 4 hours I've already spent looking for and not finding ready-made.
So although it doesn't appear easy from the offset, it is actually quicker and cheaper in the long run, bit only because I over-complicate things with very specific requirements.

Today's progress:

DSC_2158.jpg

New central dwarf wall built (spot the 'deliberate' mistake, bah) and all the 4x4 uprights cut and in.
The first door fits so it's game on to.do the rest tomorrow, along with a tongue and groove covered frame for the side that's still open.

Hopefully I will also get time to mortor in the glass block rows and maybe hang a couple of doors if I can find some suitably robust hinges locally.
I've got to clear out most of my stuff from the warehouse this weekend, tick tick tick![/quote][/quote]

----

More wall, building a frame, cladding and trimming is much easier, also means I can fit and remove as necessary for painting etc:
DSC_2164.jpg

Finally mortored a row of glass blocks either side, nice secure and insulating windows:
DSC_2168.jpg

Sloooowly getting there:
DSC_2172.jpg

(organised chaos, honest)

Big bastard locks turned up this morning, keyed alike to save faff :)
DSC_2174.jpg

(not my shoes)

Got most of the cladding done to the infill panels, just need to do the short top pieces.
Thesholds are also in and bitumen painted to stop water tracking in.
DSC_2176.jpg

(crap picture, but you get the idea)

Finally gave up with the rain, the current view from my kitchen:
DSC_2177.jpg

My yard is a builders tip, meh.

Glad I opted for door windows, needs the light:
DSC_2203.jpg

Starting to.look the part now:
DSC_2205.jpg

The hanging will be a bit of a dogs dinner, but it's something I can potentially re-do when they one off for paint.

And that frenzied bout of copy & paste brings it just about bang up to date,

My latest novel idea is to put false grass on the roof...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back