'Post Production' on recently plasterboarded ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally got round to placing my plasterboards on my ceiling, see old thread: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50917&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some time since I proposed to start the job (and grab a helping hand...the missus didn't fancy lugging these boards above her head!)...so using a self made plasterboard lift (2"x3" wood knocked together as a 'T' - thanks, whoever suggested that on here) I managed to attach them to the ceiling (after they had spent nigh on 8/9 months in the shed).

This didn't go entirely to plan so I'm wondering if you could advise me on a couple of 'polishes/fix it in the mix' techniques.

*First off, in the first run I didn't cut the boards to match exactly the joists above - the first board is fine, but the second board doesn't start on a joist and therefore there is around 35cm till it hits a joist (I cut them accordingly for subsequent boards). As such the beginning of this board hangs down a little (once the rest of the board was screwed in this 'hang' diminished somewhat). Is there anything I can do to fix this snugly to the ceiling (above this board is the existing artex/plaster ceiling then above that slats, then the joists). I wondered whether or not I could used a short, fatter screw to attach this one end into the slats (it's an oldish house) or perhaps screw a mini 'lintel' to the previous board overlapping the next board - a long piece of metal perhaps as you would add on the corners before you skim (have forgotten what you call them).

*Similar to above but on one end of the wall there are no joists immediately above this end...although there's barely a hanging section here (the rest of the board screwed in seems to hold this up pretty well), I don't expect it to look that good when the time comes to skim. I was thinking of attaching brackets to the wall which would lift this end up to the ceiling (it's only dropping a few mm). I could then skim over this bracket (I'm skimming the tops of the walls anyway - down to the picture rail only).

*First time jitters/errors meant that one or two boards went up not perfectly snug to the next ones...you can occasionally see gap sometimes as much as 5mm (for the most part they all fit however). Could I get away with adding bonding plaster in these parts before I eventually skim?

Many thanks...apologies if the above is a little long winded!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but the only way to guarantee no probs. in future would be to lift boards above and fit noggin to side of joist over the board join .........and screw right thru :cry: ....as to other cracks ..............scrim and set by the plasterer ;)

Sorry, but the only way to guarantee no probs. in future would be to lift boards above and fit noggin to side of joist over the board join .........and screw right thru

Thanks Nige - yes I'd considered lifting the boards above but unfortunately they're tough uns...and we've varnished the floor :(
Aside from the noggins is there anything else I could do?

...as to other cracks ..............scrim and set by the plasterer

No need to fill the slightly larger gaps with bonding plaster then? (max 10- 15mm gap....it was my first time setting plasterboards...and they were on a ceiling - it's a blinkin tough job!) - just scrim (mesh fabric right?) and then skim?
Thanks.

If you haven't skimmed it over yet why not cut the losses and remove the offending join between two joists?
Cut both edges back to the nearest joist and fit a new strip in.

If you don't do it now it will bug you for years until you just feel you have to rip it down again.

Sponsored Links
Good idea Ron...I suppose I could get away with the smallest strip also (save me asking my mate to trek over and help me with the lifting).
So I guess I have two options;
*Fit a new 'false' joist ( might be possible as the boards are under the bed and therefore any disruption won't be seen - as mentioned before though, these are varnished toough-to-prise-open boards...)

*Cut back the edges and fit new one. Hammer and sharp chisel do the job of cutting back the edges?

The only other query is gaps (whether I should fill with bonding or just use scrim) and one of the edges which for some reason does not have a joist above (and this is above a door entering the room in question) - the hang down is barely noticeable mind...just I'll always know it's there...was thinking of drilling in thin brackets across the wall/ceiling??

Thanks for the replies.

In the end it was easier to remove the 'offending join' between the joists and add a new cut one.
They're all up now ready to skim...however...

scrim query

I'm going to scrim over the joints in the ceiling (quite a few as I used the small boards) and I'm wondering whether I should be scrimming the ceiling edges i.e. mesh taping over the edge of the boards where they meet the ceiling then overlapping onto the wall (which I'll eventually be skimming)?
If I left them wouldn't they're be a noticeable hairline around the whole ceiling???

Thanks.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back