Plasterboard wooden ceiling which is artexed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my rather small hallway (approx 4m2) I have an artex finish over a wooden ceiling (looks like chipboard in section view but is 12mm thick). The plasterer has said he can't skim it as it will be prone to cracking due to expansion/contraction and movement of the wood which is fine.

His suggestion though is to board it up with 9.5mm plasterboard. However I am not sure whether to take the old artex off. As it is artexed onto wood, would it be easy to do?

There is a small 20cm x 20cm section where the artex has sagged off the ceiling a little which makes me think the bond strength isn't that high - I could easily be wrong though.

Anyhow, whatever I do, the problem is that there is only one or two joists holding up the wood. Would screwing the boards to the wooden ceiling at 15cm interval be sufficient to avoid sagging? The plasterer is happy to come round after and give it a quick skim finish and remove evidence of the screws.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How old is the artex? as it could have asbestos in it.
The easiest thing would be to board over and re-plaster. I have done that to all of my ceilings.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back