Post ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This also got a 2 - votes:

I was asked a civil and relevant question about why I preferred gas hobs to induction ones, and I gave a civil and relevant reply:

Personal experience, and the fact that, notwithstanding professional reviews, gas is almost the universal choice in restaurant kitchens.

Also I don't want to be restricted in my choice of cookware, told that I can't shake pans while I'm cooking, have to fiddle around with matches or lighters when flambéing, have to find another way to char the skins of peppers and aubergines etc....

Can anybody come up with a rational reason for giving that a negative rating?

This too got voted down twice:

Blimey - you must be rich if you can afford bacon that's OK to fry..... ;)

Again - can anybody here think of any sensible reason why, unless it's that all banter is to get marked down like that?

Sponsored Links
There will always be some abuse of such a system, and anyone reading your posts can see that for what it is. We will be looking at ways to prevent systematic abuse of the rating system, persecution against individuals etc.

Idealistically each post should be rated on its own merits regardless of the user who posted it, where this is being abused we will take steps against this, even if this means disabling a user account from rating other posts.

The rating system will be tuned and improved as we observe ongoing results.

The reality of this site is that there is a hardcore of advice givers who post across a wide range of topics.

Unfortunately there are some of these who dont make helpful comments just like Softus for example. Those negative people will also be giving negative ratings.

Since this rating system is primarily for those asking for advice then it must be restricted to those with a post count of say less than 200.

As its so open to abuse I dont think its workable with some of the people on here. For example Dick Puller will get 100 thumbs down.

Tony

We'll definitely be observing and learning how people rate posts and how it can be tuned (if it can be tuned) to prove as useful as possible. It will be adapted to allow for persistent negative (or positive) posters as time goes on, and to allow for targeted 'attacks' against individuals.

Ultimately, the goal of this is to improve the site, and ideally make someone think twice before posting something unduly negative. If no perceived improvement is made then it will be removed. We'll see how it fairs over the next few months.

Sponsored Links
A very simple way to prevent the regular posters from abusing the ratings is to only allow the person who started the thread to rate his replies.

That would also reduce the number of posts from others whose only objective is to abuse and be argumentative.

Tony

There will always be some abuse of such a system, and anyone reading your posts can see that for what it is. We will be looking at ways to prevent systematic abuse of the rating system, persecution against individuals etc.

Idealistically each post should be rated on its own merits regardless of the user who posted it, where this is being abused we will take steps against this, even if this means disabling a user account from rating other posts.
I wonder what someone going back to a post I made a week before the rating system started, which is now 12 posts before the latest in that topic, and on a previous page, counts as?

Anybody like to suggest sensible reasons why this picked up 2 -ve votes:

It's getting ******* ridiculous.

A very simple way to prevent the regular ppsters from abusing the ratings is to only allow the person who started the thread to rate his replies.

That would also reduce the number of posts from others whose only objective is to abuse and be argumentative.

Tony

Each logged in member has the ability to hide any poorly rated post based on a set threshold (default setting is -6), if so desired.
Only allowing the OP to rate would mean that posts would only ever get as far as ±1....

What need is there for this new system?

The writing/rating is so small at the top of the post it is hardly noticable, which in hindsight is a good thing! I see this as a complete waste of time, if people want to search the forum for advice then they will notice that most queries have more than one reply, these are normally agreements of advice from multiple professionals.

If there are disagreement all that the member has to do is to post a new query. The latter I beleive happens more often than not anyway, due to the amount of questions in the electrical forum on light changing and the amount of questions in the plastering forum on how to learn to skim and in the general discussion forum on how many buf & BNP fanatics are members here.

With all the monotinous, repetetive, rasist and discriminative posts which are made over and over again I doubt many people use the search function at all.

Ratings only by the OP would defeat the object to a degree, it's as much to give the OP an indication of the perception of posts by others aside from other replies.

There are already systems in place that are monitoring the ratings. Ratings can be reviewed by admin if it is believed that the system is being abused, subsequently a user account can lose the ability to rate if this is found to be the case.

We've now got someone going back to posts I made over 5 months ago just to give them a thumbs down.

Anyone like to try and provide a credible argument that that's not a targeted attack?

I don't doubt that some users will abuse it. We will attempt to identify these cases and take action. In fact earlier today someone lost their ability due to abuse of the rating system. In due course their ratings will be removed.

BAS, I think the more fuss you make in a thread about a rating you've received the more negative attention you'll attract. Discussions about ratings in threads will therefore be removed when seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back