Post solid wall insulation plastering - recesses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

simple qn, but being a relative noob, I cant think of a solution to this problem!

I am planning to insulate my double course solid brick wall using celotex. Plan at the mo is to use 50mm batten, infilling with 50mm celotex and covering with 30mm celotex tb4030, thisHopefully sorting out a lot of my homes insulation issues. However, this will leave me with 92mm on top of the existing wall at recesses. This isnt too much of a problem for sills, as I am getting solid oak ones knocked up. However, how do I tackle to vertical sections of recess? As its a cold surface, they WILL get damp. can I simply bond and plaster, or would you use thin ply to box out first?

I have the design for the studding and insulation sorted, having looked online, I cannot find a solution to this problem! Any hints/Ideas? I havent the space to insulate inside the recess, we are planning to get heavy curtains to minimise heat loss at these recess locations.

Sponsored Links
Obviously insulating right upto the window frames is the best solution here, how much window frame have you got 'spare' If you can get a 25mm board and plaster then great, if you can't afford the space because the frames are too thin then bonding or screwing some insulated tilebacking board may be the best you can do. Aquapanel comes in 10mm thick, marmox is available in various sizes including 20mm, as these have a cementious coating you can skim onto them after sealing.

How about taking the plaster back to the brickwork (or not if you've got enough depth) screw two 38mm*25mm pieces of slate batten vertically to the each window reveal, Insulate in between the battens with 25mm celotex (you've now solved your cold bridge / damp concern).

Now, fix your lining of choice to the battens either:-

1. PAR Redwood
2. MDF
3. Plasterboard and skim
4. Oak to match your cills (plug, countersink and screw to fix - lovely) - this would be my choice :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back