Posts not showing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's bad enough when this happens:

screenshot_674.jpg

but at least, small and un-obvious though it is, there is a note about more posts.

But this:

screenshot_675.jpg

is even worse.

And really, really unhelpful.

Sponsored Links
What did you do to get to that page? Does it do it consistently when you look at that topic? The odd thing is that post #165 should be at the bottom of page 11, so there shouldn't be anything below. What page number was that?

From what I can see you have posted that last message #178 while on page 11 which is why it looks like it continues on, but I guess that if it showed the page numbers it would show that you are on page 11 and there were 12 pages at that time (unless you had an old page open in a different tab or something along those lines). Would that sound about right?

Yes - I posted a reply whilst on p11 (because that was where I had got to, and that was where the one I was quoting and replying to was).

And having clicked Post Reply, what I saw was the second screenshot above. Can't remember how the first one came about - I captured it earlier because it seemed that that behaviour might have caused me to miss a post which left someone hanging on for a reply.

As far as I recall, the old forum s/w would have positioned me at the end of the topic, not left me where I was but also showing the post I'd just made.

The problem is that if a topic is fairly active, and someone posts after having been away from it for a while but had left it open, they might well see what was the last page at the time they stepped out, but is no longer, but the behaviour will leave them still seeing that, with their post at the end.

The indications that there have been posts made while they were away are subtle, to say the least, and easily missed. With the old forum, being teleported to a page you'd never seen before was a much more obvious "notice" of that.

I don't know if the current behaviour is what it is, and we just have to lump it, or if it can be tailored....

Sponsored Links
This is the acme of misleading unhelpfulness (is that a word?):

screenshot_680.jpg

Nothing, absolutely nothing, anywhere on the screen, no matter how obscure, to indicate that there is a post #12 apart from its absence in the numbering.

Back