Potential changes to internal walls - Building Regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle!!

We are in the process of moving house and have some plans for once we get in before we start decorating. Below is a diagram of the current setup. The yellow wall is a stud wall installed by previous owner, left hand green wall was supporting but has been opened up by said owner and lintle fitted at this time. Right hand green wall is load bearing.

Our plans are to close up the opening from the current bathroom and make an en suite and dressing room from what will become our bedroom. We will also close the existing landing doorway and open one up in our bedroom with suitable lintle. As pictured below.

Are we likely to need building regulations approval and are there any potential issues that you guys can spot that we may be missing?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
Well, there's that terrifying, vast black void. Perhaps we should talk about that!

Lol, that's the secret underground bunker access route that I can't show for reasons of national security!!

(Or possibly the way the pic ended up the way I edited it from the right move plans)

I doubt building control would be involved from a structural point of view, but as you're installing new foul drainage, they'll need to look at that.

As an aside, I'd recommend jigging your ensuite around so the toilet isn't opposite the door. A modern toilet sticks out about 700mm wide and at a guess that room is about 1100 deep. 400 isn't enough to make the room easily navigable. Put the toilet against the outside wall, send the massive poo pipe straight out, then get a slim sink so you still have 800 mm of room to move

Sponsored Links
Thanks cjard, I I'll look into the regulations required for the foul drainage. We hadn't thought of putting the toilet on that wall but it makes sense as you say, will try and get some measurements before we get in so we can start looking at sinks / toilets.

You'll need building regs for doing the doorway through from your bedroom into the new ensuite- yes it is a dead simple job but still alteration to structural elements. Shouldn't cost any more adding it to the drainage work though.

With your ensuite- yes loo on the outside wall for sure, unless that room is a bit bigger than it looks (2m x 1m ish) it'll be a tight squeeze getting a usable sink in there as well as loo and shower.

Entirely up to you but you could think about his and hers washbasins on the window wall of the dressing room? Nice bit of marble and some low cupboards underneath for all her ket :)

Thanks oldbutnotdead, ive put that ideas to the missus and she quite likes it. We hope to be in by the 10th August so are going to get measured up properly then and see what sort of space we can make work for us...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back