Potential leak, getting ill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a shared home, upstairs gets consistent black dust everywhere even in my room with a high end purifier at full 24/7 and regular cleaning, I’m a little concerned as everyone is constantly getting sick with chest problems etc.

We have fireplaces boxed in most of the rooms except the living room downstairs which isn’t used.

Boiler is combi gas and has yellow / brown staining at the top of it, no visible pilot light and carbon monoxide alarms are working and not picking anything up, what could be causing the dust everywhere / illness?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
Boiler is combi gas and has yellow / brown staining at the top of it, no visible pilot light and carbon monoxide alarms are working and not picking anything up, what could be causing the dust everywhere / illness?

Good grief!

Your alarms are maybe not working, or are not CO alarms. Get straight on to your gas supplier and report a suspected gas leak, they will be out within the hour to check. Whilst there, tell them about your concerns. The likelihood is, they will condemn the boiler as unsafe, it will be then down to your landlord to sort things out properly.

The soot, yellow straining, suggests incomplete combustion CO, which is absolutely deadly.

Hard to tell just by visual only, but that dust looks like regular dust and the yellow “staining” looks like grease buildup, but do not take this as gospel. I’m my opinion, stop using the gas boiler until it’s been looked at and the fires. Have you sought any medical attention? Do you have flu like symptoms? Have the appliances been checked previously?

Yes flu like symptoms, chest issues that won’t seem to go, confusion, partner has been dizzy at times. Not seen a doctor yet but have called out the emergency line to come check the boiler.

The dust I wipe my room regularly, I have a massive high end purifier on constantly and desk will be covered again in a few days. If I left the purifier off and didn’t clean for a few weeks it would be black.

Sponsored Links
Not seen a doctor yet but have called out the emergency line to come check the boiler.

What 'emergency line' have you called? Ring the correct one, and they will be there within the hour! Ring 0800 111 999 - no charge for the call, no charge for them to attend.

The symptoms, you mentioned, sound like the result of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. The black dust, staining also is likely CO. Better cold for a while until it's sorted, than dead.

Are the floors old bare wooden floorboards? If so the dust could be many years worth of muck getting blown out from beneath the boards through the joints, especially if you have an open chimney which would exacerbate a draft coming up through the floor.

Engineer said there was no leak but gas safe engineer needs to inspect boiler due to possible combustion issues so has shut off from main.

There are old wooden floorboards with large gaps between in my room but believe the other rooms are carpeted and still get the dust.

If that was the culprit how could it be rectified?

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpeg
    IMG_1379.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 22

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back