God bless our Eastern European chums.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just about to turn on a new boiler I installed a while ago.

(cue slow motion scene of hand moving towards the power button).

When I hear the Sparky downstairs shouting:

"NO NO, GAS, F*****G GAS, STOP, F*****G GAS"

I jump off the ladder and sprint down two flights of stairs (not a bad effort considering my heavily infected and in growing toe).

The builder is there holding an 1” barrel gas service pipe which he has just ripped out of the concrete floor. Gas is p1ssing out blowing dust and plaster everywhere. The Sparks and I went sprinting down the hallway outside – I shout "that’s it" as I point to the street service cock cover plate as the Sparks tries ripping it up with his bare hands – I jump clean over him and sprint to the van to get my long stop cock key. We use that to prise open the cover plate and manage to turn off the service cock.

We got back into the house and numbnuts is stood there holding this piece of pipe with a bemused look on his face saying:

“but she told me that zis pipes is come out”.

Not impressed we called National Grid. Sparks has to go home. The poor sod had his first epileptic fit last week and lost his driving license – the doctors told him to avoid stressful situations!!!!

4 lads from NG roll up just under an hour later – worryingly unsurprised about what happened, except that we managed to get the gas off ourselves.

Its amazing what can happen when you have the brown afterburner kicking in!

Bosnian Bill there goes:

“I thinks it vas good we no use cutter no?”

Well no phecking **** you plank – I told you yesterday that it was live and that the one next to it was for the kitchen!

2 hours later NG are digging up the pavement ‘cos I managed to persuade him to snatch a cap over the service pipe before the service cock to get rid of the connection – he originally wanted to dig up the whole front garden and leave a stump in a new meter box on the front of the house – costing easily a grand or more. For some reason there was two service pipes form the street dating back from when the house had been split into two council flats. NG couldn’t say why, but did say that the bill would have been enormous if it was a single service pipe as they would obviously have to run a fresh pipe in form the street.

The poor customers get home from work to see a whopping great big hole being dug outside their house; no builders in site, and flashing yellow lights everywhere.

That’s the EU for you. I used to be fairly pragmatic about the influx of Poles et al – but I have been to too many abortions recently and it’s starting to get me down. This job was going to be done by my regular builder – but he refused to start until the party wall agreements were in place – customer couldn’t wait that long so cut a few corners.

They’ve also knocked out a chimney breast – and I can reach through to next door’s flue liner. Nice!

Sponsored Links
Turned up at a tower block flat 3 times to sort out the boiler/heating system after the East European labour have f**ked it up each time. I even told the owner he was wasting his time with the dross he was using for the renovation. The last time I was there they managed to rip out the old service pipe in the kitchen. It was still live. The 12 storey tower block was evacuated...fire/police/ambulance were present while Transco spent the morning repairing the mess.

I was talking to a couple of scaffolders on a job today. It appears to be the only job not plaqued by this influx of cheap migrant cowboys. They did say they've gone back to remove the scafolding and found the Poles have cut off support legs for access or excavated underneath to lay services...absolutely no regard for safety.

A job a few weeks ago was full of Poles fitting new windows. Some were low level. I asked if it was safety glass and were they installing egress windows upstairs. Asked if they were FENSA...of course they hadn't a clue what I was on about.

Eastern Europeans are normally a friendly lot and thats why they convince gullable homeowners/estate agents they can do the job. If I come across them I'm pretty hostile nowdays if the works anything but 100% legit.

If you think Poles are rubbish wait till you see the Hungarian/Romanian plumbers. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Went to another Polish abortion today - very long standing customers. We serviced their Space Saver for well over 10 years, but they never asked if we did plumbing and got a "complete package" sold to them by some bloke called Malick.

A Gloworm 24CXi went in. Passable kitchen plumbing. Except for the gas pipe being buried in concrete with a bit of foam insulation. Speedfit cap over the service for the hob.

No trap on the WMC waste.

Taps all wobbly.

The condensate went into the communal passageway.

Waste all leaking in bathroom (bath waste runs up hill). None of the sockets are level.

In the time it took me to completely plumb the kitchen sink and wire the boiler up with a CM61NG (it started off life hard wored to a 16A RCD - no fused spur). Malick's dogsbody had manged to not refit the bath waste. According to the customer it was the fith or sixth attempt. I went in and did it myself and found that the screw supports had been snapped through overtightening.

When this was produced to the dogsbody in front of the customer all that was given was a shrug of the shoulders and the pigeon english grunt of "its plastic".

Then I noticed they had drilled through a lintel forthe kitchen extractor and that dogs body had been using my RECIPROCATOR to cut through the rebar.

A**ehole!

Building control are signing it all off.

Yet just orund the corner, a perfectly acceptable renovation was refused a certificate because the wash hand basin - which terminated over a gulley gurgled for 2 or 3 seconds.

FFS!!! I had to trapse all the way across central London to look at this. The builder/plumber had done a fairly good job, except with their clipping of the kitchen waste pipes which - if I were a BCO - were more concerning. But no i had to faf around behind a Pedestall with a HepVo trap and MaCapline flexi. Was it really worth it?

I happened to be on an out of town job in Fellbridge today (Surrey). I needed to turn left at the lights but the traffic had backed up 100 yards and I could not enter the left hand filter lane.....the lights were red.

No problem for our Polish chums behind me....straight up the kerb and then drive 50 yards along the pavement to get into the filter lane. W**kers. My gutless postman pat Kangoo only has 55 horses so I couldn't even give 'em some road rage. :evil:

Will sell you this:

BagdadFlyer100000milebirthday.jpg

No f***er messes with the Baghdad Flyer!

So why arent CORGI and HSE doing something about such situations. If it was you or me then they would be crawling all over us .

Wot no RIDDOR ..... isnt that a town in the old eastern bloc?

In the case of the Gas escape (sic) NG wouldn't do anythnig because "you though on your feet a bit too well" and the house was safe when they arrived.

I am thinking of doing a RIDDOR myself, but based on my last - and possibly more dangerous scenario where I raised one - naff all happened.

Sickening isn't it?!?

Dan_Robinson said:
In the case of the Gas escape (sic) NG wouldn't do anythnig because "you though on your feet a bit too well" and the house was safe when they arrived.

I am thinking of doing a RIDDOR myself, but based on my last - and possibly more dangerous scenario where I raised one - naff all happened.

Sickening isn't it?!?

ALWAYS cover your own back just in case.. You are the responsible person and if you are the last one there then you are even more accountable.

You probably already know but RIDDORS can be completed and submitted online

It is up to those who DO comply to start doing something and let that old that seems to turn away at such times and allows it vision to be blurred to have a bloody good rub and bring it into the light. We need to start contacting CORGI telling them that peson(S) such as the unregistered and ignorant are working on gas unqualified.

Well technically these muppets weren't working on the gas - they just ripped the pipe clean out of the floor. I totally agree with you that more needs to be reported.

I have made two reports to CORGI this month. It seems I have crippled the system as it is taking over a week for them to even register the complaint from their website and it'll take between 10 and 20 days for it to proceed beyond that!

staffs said:
Dan_Robinson said:

Sickening isn't it?!?

ALWAYS cover your own back just in case.. You are the responsible person and if you are the last one there then you are even more accountable.

You probably already know but RIDDORS can be completed and submitted online

It is up to those who DO comply to start doing something and let that old that seems to turn away at such times and allows it vision to be blurred to have a b****y good rub and bring it into the light. We need to start contacting CORGI telling them that peson(S) such as the unregistered and ignorant are working on gas unqualified.

You will be labelled as a racist if you make complaints against these people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back