Gas service pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes ....

I live in a 1970 built house and am having my drive block paved. When the excavator arrived I advised him where all the services entered the house. The gas service pipe enters on one side of the integral garage, so he advised me he would hand dig around that area. After removing the existing paving flags in front of the garage he found the gas pipe literally sat about 2 inches under the ground. The pipe is steel.

The builder told me he had come across many others like this and just block paved over the pipe, but I'm wondering if I should have a new service pipe laid at a lower depth. I belive the recommendation is 325mm.

I've checked the National Grid website and it would cost me £850 for 10 metres of new service pipe. I have asked a few neighbours and none of them recall anyone having a new gas service pipe even though many of the houses have block paving.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Assuming your meter is inside the house, the gas pipe belongs to the gas transporter and they are responsible for keeping it safe and shipshape.

I expect the ground may have been lowered by the contractor a little, but not 325mm......

At the end of the day it is the gas transporters decision whether it needs replacing, and your decision whether you want their monkeys lifting and 'reinstating' your drive.

Few lethal gas explosions result from external leaks and I think you would be surprised about the condition of many of the underground services - at least your pipe was in one piece.

At the end of the day it is up to you whether you want to complain, whatever happens it should not cost you unless the remedial work is directly as a result of your work to extend/lower the driveway.

i agree the pipe is close to the surface, but so what? so long as you know it's there then you can avoid it.

after all, it is not affected by frost unlike water and being iron it is pretty strong.

also, since you are using block paving, and should you need to lift them for whatever reason, at least you can put them back down without leaving any scars.

Thanks for your replies.

I should have mentioned that my drive is being widened for two cars and my main concern is actually driving over the pipe. Is there any chance of the weight of the car fracturing the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Gas pipe should be a minimum of 375mm below a driveway or an area that can be driven over. 40mm is the minimum below a walkway or path etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back