converting NG cooker to LPG - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Before I get flamed, I will NOT be attempting this myself! It will be a gas fitter, I just want to be informed before hand so I don't get ripped off.

We currently have a rangemaster hob fitted that was being used on NG. We had the NG disconnected early this year after a fall out with NPower (even their bailiff's side with us due to the bill being over £4000 for a 6 month period and the fact it happened during their 'system switchover'; one bailiff even spent over an hour on the phone to them trying to explain it to them!) so we told them to remove the meter from our property as we use our multifuel stove to heat our house year round and also to do our hot water. With lots of free wood, we would be daft not to.

Anyway, what I am wanting to do, is disconnect the gas pipe that goes down the side of the house to our kitchen (for hob only) and attach an LPG bottle to this pipe. I already have the LPG jets for the hob. Is this feasible?

Am I right in thinking that the gas fitter just needs to attach a regulator onto a hose, and then to the pipe outside, hook up a bottle, and test the appliance and installation?? oh and also remove the excess length that would go the other way to the meter / cap it off.

Many thanks for any advice on this

Sponsored Links
You need a GS registered RGI with a LPG ticket. Generally any RGIs with a LPG ticket will do their NG ACS first. So they should be up to the job.
Sorry, it's not permitted to give further advice on an installation of this nature on this forum, unlike Screfix - where DIY gas work is advocated.......😵😵😡😡

Thanks for the reply Richardthe3rd. However as stated I WILL be getting the correctly certified person to do the installation.

My question wasn't how to do the installation, but simply would the certified person be allowed to install the LPG regulator in such an easy straight forward way without breaking any reg's.

I only ask so that I know a few facts in case the installer tries to say that it needs to be completely renewed at a substantially greater cost.

If this NEEDS to be done then fair enough. But if an installation can be made this simple then I would rather avoid such a huge expense just before christmas.

Also, would anyone have a rough price for this so I have an idea. I will be ringing round for a few quotes but I always prefer to have a little knowledge first.

Especially as I would also like to avoid any 'too good to be true' cheap quotes.

Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Why do you think your going to be ripped off ???L!

I don't think I am going to be ripped off, I just don't want to get ripped off.

also, like Richardthe3rd said
Steve, how the hell can we RGIs charge a fortune if we don't make it a more lengthy complex job???
:p

I don't pay anybody to do anything, or buy anything until I've done my homework!

I'm a self employed web designer by trade, and I keep myself busy with honest prices and good work and I know all too well how every trade out there has it's dishonest overpriced con merchants just waiting to take your money. If a person doesn't at least do a little research first then pity the fool and all that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back